Chapter Seventeen

Aria's P.O.V.

After Clay came back with the snacks, I ate a little bit of food and fell asleep with my head on Clay's shoulder. A little while later, I woke up to someone shaking me awake, when my eyes fully opened, I saw Justin looking down at me. "Aria, it's time, I need you to be there for her," he said. I nodded slowly, and I got up and walked into the room. Jessica looked exhausted, and I knew that she wanted this to be over with so she could get some sleep. "Jess, it's gonna be okay, we're here for you, I promise," I whispered to her as I grabbed her hand.

A few doctors entered the room and checked her, Justin and I looked at each other, he looked scared and a little worried about Jess, but I gave him a small smile, silently telling him that everything was gonna be okay. "Okay Ms. Davis, I need you to give me a small push okay?" the nurse said. I gently squeezed Jess's hand reassuring her that I was there for her. She looked over at me and Justin, and then she pushed. I felt her start to squeeze my hand tighter, and after a while, she let out a big breath.

"I'm gonna need you to push harder okay?" Jess complied, and she squeezed my hand once again, and I looked down at her and told her that she was doing a good job. Justin had done the same. After a while, the head was out, and Jess was one step closer to being able to hold her son in her arms. But then, I heard the sound of the heartbeat monitor start to beep faster and faster. "I think she's having a heart attack," one of the nurses whispered. I was scared, and I was praying to God that she and the baby were going to survive this.

One of the doctors grabbed a pair of forceps and removed the baby, a split second after that, I heard the little boy let out a loud scream, and I watched as Jess started to pant heavily, and after a few breaths the monitor flatlined, and I felt the tears start to fall down my face. "Ms. Baker, I need you to leave the room okay?" one of the nurses said ushering me out. "What about Jess? Please help her!" I begged. The nurse led me out of the room, but I continuing screaming for Jessica. "Jess, please wake up!" I said before the door closed.

I was staring at the door wondering what was going on inside that room. "Aria, what's going on?" Clay asked. I tightly embraced Clay and cried into his shoulder. "Jess, she had a heart attack while having the baby," I answered. All I could hear was the sound of the monitor beeping rapidly, and the sound of the baby's cries. But, I tried not to think about it too much while I was in Clay's embrace.

"She's a fighter, I know she's going to make it," Clay whispered. Clay and I sat down on the bench again, and held each other close, after a half an hour, one of the doctors came out of the room and crouched down in front of us. "How is she? Is she okay?" I asked. The doctor let out a small sigh and looked at me and Clay. "The baby is perfectly healthy, but Jessica didn't respond to CPR, she died just a few minutes ago, I'm truly sorry for your loss,"

I felt everything inside me just shut down. My best friend, the one girl in school who was there for me when Hannah died, was gone. I crumpled up onto the floor and let out a loud heaving sob, and I felt the world around me move slowly. I didn't know what the hell was going on, or why God would take away my best friend.