Chapter Twenty Nine

Clay's P.O.V.

I hoped that Aria would be okay running errands all by herself, I had offered to go with her, but she had told me that she would be fine doing them herself. I stared at the pouring rain outside the window, it had started to rain harder, and I had hoped that the roads would not become too slick. As I looked out the window, I heard my stomach start to grumble. I hadn't eaten a lot because I was stressed about putting some final things in order before Aria and I had the baby.

I quickly made myself a sandwich and ate in front of the tv. Aria didn't like to eat dinner in front of the tv, she liked it when we sat together at the bar, and looked into each other's eyes. I flipped through the different channels on the tv hoping to find something good to watch while I waited for Aria to come back. I heard my phone ring, and when I looked at the Caller ID, I saw it was Justin. "Hey bro, what's up?" I asked. "Clay! Thank god! Did you see the news?" he asked.

I was confused, I hadn't heard anything on the news, but I turned on the news and I saw that it was breaking news. "We have breaking news coming from Evergreen County today, there has been a pileup nearby the I-15 highway involving seven cars and five pickup trucks. This crash started when the driver of a 2017 Toyota Corolla hydroplaned and crashed into a nearby tree, no report on the driver's condition but we do know that the driver appears to be a young pregnant woman,"

My breath hitched in my throat, and it was hard to believe that the driver was Aria, She drove the Toyota Corolla and from the look of the pileup, there was a strong possibility that she and the baby could be seriously injured. "Justin, we need to get over there and help her!" I whispered into the phone. "Agreed, I'll meet you near the highway," Justin said. After I hung up the phone I ran to my car and drove to where the pileup was. I was praying to God that Aria and the baby were not dead.

When I saw Justin, we tightly embraced each other and we saw the horror that had taken place The area had been blocked off and five to six ambulances were surrounding the area. I was in shock to see the workers getting everyone out of the cars, but I saw no one was near Aria's smashed-up car. "Nobody's even checking on her!" I said. I looked back at Aria's car and I knew what I had to do. I made a promise that I would protect her, and I was going to do that, I was gonna save her.

"Screw this, we're going in there!" I said ducking under the tape. "Justin, I need you to come with me, this is not gonna be easy, but we're gonna have to carry her," I said. Justin nodded, and we ran over to the smashed Corolla, and when I looked through the broken window, I saw Aria. Her head had hit the back of her seat, and her eyes were closed. "Aria," I barely whispered. I tried to open the door, but the door was locked. Then, I small a hole in the window big enough for me to slip my hand through and unlock the car door. Justin held open the door as I carefully pulled Aria out of the car.

Justin helped me carry her to where the ambulances were, and I screamed out for help. Two first responders rushed towards us and examined Aria. Justin and tightly embraced each other and we prayed that Aria and the baby were still alive. The first responders looked at us, and I braced myself for what they were going to say. "She's breathing," one of them answered. I let out a breath of relief and I watched them place her on the stretcher and place her in the ambulance.

Justin and I got in with them and we drove off to the hospital, I sat there in the ambulance holding her hand and praying that she and the baby were going to survive this.