Chapter Twenty Six

Taylor's POV

I was in the middle of braiding Camille's hair before we go out to lunch when my phone rang. I picked up my phone and saw an unfamiliar number I answered it,"Hello?"
"Hello, am I speaking with Mrs. Neverson?",a lady spoke through the phone.
"Yes, this is she. How can I help you?"
"Well, it would appear your husband Mr. Tremaine Neverson was involved in a rather serious car accident."
"What?",I yelled through the phone. "W-what happened?"
"From what we can tell and what the police told us, he was on his phone and drove right into an 18 wheeler."
"I-is he okay? Please tell me he's okay."
"Mam'e please calm down. He was rushed in for an emergency surgery at the White Memorial Medical Center."
"Okay, I'll be there soon.",I hung up.
"Mommy are you okay? Why are you crying?",Camille asked me with sad eyes.
I pulled her in a tight hug and kissed her forehead. I wiped my tears and said lowly,"Sweetie, we're gonna have to reschedule our girls day okay? Mommy has to be somewhere important right now."
"Can I come?"
"No baby, I'm taking you to Uncle Chris' house."
"Uncle Chris? Okay!",she smiled.
"Good, now go put on your shoes. Be quick."
She nodded and ran upstairs to put on her shoes and came back with a pair of flip flops. I grabbed my purse, my phone, and my keys and we hopped in the car and drove over to Chris' house. Camille and I walked up to the door and rang the doorbell.
We waited until Mariah finally opened the door and smiled,"Hey guys! What's going on?"
"Please can you watch her for me?",I asked.
"Of course, what's going on?"
"I just got a call from the hospital and they said Trey was just in a serious car accident. I have to go to see what's going on with him."
Mariah nodded,"Okay, okay. Yeah go find out and be careful out there okay."
I nodded and watched as Mariah welcomed Camille inside their house then I walked back to the car and headed towards the hospital. My hands tightly gripped the steering wheel and my knuckles turned white.
"Lord" I silently prayed "please make sure Trey is okay. I know we've been going through a rough patch right now and we've both said and done things to each other that weren't good but I'm begging you to make sure the father of my child makes it out okay."
My phone rang and I thought about answering it but after what happened to Trey , I just let it go to voicemail. When I arrived at the hospital, I just about stormed inside over to the front desk.
"I'm here for Trey Neverson. Where is here?",I asked.
"Mam'e I'm gonna need you to take a seat in the waiting room and someone will get back to you."the receptionist stated.
"I just wanna know where his room is! Got damn it! Is he even alive right now? Can you tell me that much?"
"Mam'e, go sit in the waiting room."
"Fuck the waiti-"
"Taylor. Taylor!",someone said from behind me.
"Wha-",I spun around and my face crinkled when I saw Cassandra standing behind me. "What the fuck do you want bitch? What are you even doing here?"
"I came here for the same reason you did."she said.
"Obviously I didn't whoop your ass hard enough if you're still creeping around Trey. What do you want Cassandra!"
She cleared her throat,"I know I'm the last person you wanna see right now-"
"Damn right."
"But I wanted you to now that I didn't come here to argue with you. I was on the phone with him when he got in the accident."
"So if that man is dead, it's all your your fault then? You're making it so much more easier for me to find reasons to hate you."I said walking into the waiting room.
She chased me and said,"I only called him to tell him I'm pregnant with his baby."
I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around to her,"I bet you are. I wouldn't even be surprised if a dozen other females walked in here right now claiming the same thing."
"No it's true!"
"Look, I didn't come here for you. I came to see if my husband is okay."I said finding an empty chair to sit in.
Whether or not she's telling the truth, I'm no longer phased by all of this. I'm just tired. If Trey ends up being okay and once he's completely recovered then that's when we can get the divorce process started. I'm tired of living in the shadows of someone's heart. If he really loved me like he claims, then this whole thing never would have happened.
Cassandra's dumb ass decided she was gonna sit right beside me. No matter how angry I may get with her, I won't hit her. A pregnant woman should never be hit, that's just my opinion.
I pulled out my phone and saw that I had 27 missed calls and 13 text messages. They were from Chris, Mariah, my mom, Michael, Chyna, and even August which I was very shocked at since August hates Trey.
I called Chris and he picked up on the first ring,"Taylor, you aight? What's goin on?"
I sighed,"I'm in the waiting room right now. They haven't told me anything yet."
"Aight, make sure you keep us all posted."
"Will do."
I heard Mariah's voice in the background then she asked,"So how're you really feeling right now? Talk to me."
"I mean I hope he's okay. He has a lot of things going for him." I sighed again "Including an addition to the family."
"Don't tell me you're pregnant Tay."
Chris yelled in the background,"Who? Who is pregnant" Then he must have grabbed the phone from Mariah because he asked me "You ain't carrying that niggas baby right?"
"No Chris."
"Good." he said.
"Give back the phone to Mariah."
"Aight."
"So if you're not pregnant who is?",Mariah asked.
"Do you even have to ask? Who else?",I questioned.
"Damn, Cassandra?"
"Yup."
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be. I'm alright."
A man in a white coat and a clipboard walked into the waiting room and asked,"Mrs. Neverson?"
"I gotta go Mariah, the doctor is here.",I said and hung up. I stood up and said,"Uh, that would be me."
He stuck his hand out and shook my hand,"Dr.Hendricks."
"Hi.",I smiled softly. Cassandra came up from behind me and listened as the doctor spoke.
"That accident was very life threatening. He almost didn't make it but he's a very strong man."
I closed my eyes and shook my head and thanked God that he was alive.
He held up an x-ray and pointed to what looked like Trey's neck and said,"He ruptured a disk in his neck which wasn't as bad as it could have been so he'll be experiencing a lot of headaches and neck pains. He also fractured his ribs and his left leg is fractured as well. There were tons of scratches and bruises but nothing too serious. And after that surgery, he has been completely stable and is responding perfectly to the treatment."
Tears ran down my face and I nodded,"Can I see him?"
"Sure family only. Is she family?",he pointed to Cassandra.
She looked a me with pleading eyes. "Yeah, that's my cousin.",I lied.
The doctor nodded and led us to Trey's room. It was hard for me to contain my cries but just the thought of seeing him like this brought me to tears. He was unconscious and his body was all wrapped up in bandages and his face was full of cuts and gashes.
I sat down in the chair beside his bed and gently graced my fingertips on his his hand. I placed a soft kiss on it and kept my head down and cried harder.
My tears blurred my vision as I sat up and sniffed,"This is all my fault. I don't know why I feel so guilty but it's entirely all my fault. I pushed you away when I shouldn't have."
I wiped my tears and said softly,"I promise you, that I will make sure you get better. I'll be there for you Trey, I promise. Even if that means I gotta quit my job, I'll make sure that I'm right beside you. Through thick and thin. In sickness and in health."
I planted another kiss on his hand. For a moment, I forgot how about all the shit Trey and I had gone through. I even forgot Cassandra was in the same room as us. I looked up and saw tears running down her face when she met my look she just turned around and ran out of the hospital room.
I don't know what her problem is, the way I see it is, if you truly care about someone you'll put their needs before yours. I care for Trey, I even still love him, I'm just not in love with him anymore.