Chapter Thirty One

Trey's POV
"Trey, this came in the mail for you.",Taylor said handing me over a white envelope.
I searched around the envelope to see who it was from but it only had my name on it. I furrowed my eyebrows together and tore it open and saw it was a long letter written on lined paper.

Dear Trey,

I'm sorry for all the pain I've ever caused to you and your family. I'm sorry for dropping such a big bomb on you over the phone that landed you in a horrible accident. I'm sorry telling you that I was pregnant when I never really knew for sure. Overall, I'm just terribly sorry for making your life hell.
These past couple days I've been by myself in our old hotel spot doing absolutely nothing but thinking about everything that has happened in my life this past year. I'm completely ashamed of the person I've become. The lying, the cheating, the deceiving; none of that is me and that's why I'm so disgusted of myself.
I've decided that in order for me to stop all the bullshit is for me to be at rest. That's right, I want end my life. There are no words or actions that can stop me from doing this so I guess this is goodbye. By the time you have read this letter, my body should be lying cold on the floor of my hotel, dead from the bleach i forced myself to drink. Even though we didn't know each other long, I love you Trey. Take care of your family and treat them well. Continue being the father I so desperately wanted you to be for our unborn child that never existed.

Love, Cassandra Olivia Alsina

I looked at the date and saw that this was sent out three days ago. I lowered the letter to my lap and stared up at the ceiling and sighed. I shook my head and mumbled,"She killed herself."
"What?",Taylor asked walking into the living room with a bowl of popcorn in her hands.
"Cassandra. She killed herself."
"Shut up. You're lying."
I held out the letter to her and she grabbed it out of my hands and she read it. She shook her head,"Wow. Ole girl was here just a few days ago too."
I nodded,"I know, and I was so nasty towards her. This all my fault."
"Alright now wait a minute Trey, I know yo and her exchange some words but this isn't your fault. Rest in peace to her soul but we can't forget that she was a psycho bitch.",Taylor reasoned. "Besides, she may not even be dead. Think about it. If she killed herself in her hotel room one of the maids would have seen her dead by now and this would be all over the news."
I nodded,"Let's see." I grabbed the remote and started flipping through news channel and sure enough it was on every newscast. I stopped it on CNN and Taylor and I just watched.
"Breaking News! Wife of new r&b singer August Alsina, was found dead in hotel today at 1:30p.m here in downtown Los Angelos."
My heart sank. Even though I didn't love her, it saddens me that she would just end her life like that. Before all this craziness started, her I and used to have some fun times together, that's really what led us into having an affair with each other. She was cool then she became obsessed and demanding until it was too much for me to handle and keep a secret anymore.
Damn. I wish she hadn't done this to herself. Even if she fucked up her marriage with August and her friendships here in L.A she could've started out fresh in a new town or state. She didn't have to commit suicide.

August's POV
Death has been following me around for the last couple of years. First it was my older brother being killed now my wife committed suicide. At first I didn't know how to take the news when a cop pulled up to my crib a few hours ago, but then it all started to hit me when that's all I seen on the news channels.
I ain't know whether to cry, to yell, or to go out and just shoot somebody. Anybody. I just been pacing around my house with all the blinds shut and the tv shut off. Niggas been knocking on my damn door all day and I ain't want nobody near me.
Someone knocked on my door again and i yelled,"Who dat!"
No response. Another knock on the door.
"Yo who there!"
I guess it wasn't helpful that my door is soundproof so no wonder they didn't hear me. But whoever it was, I ain't in the mood to see them. They knocked again and this time my entire body was filled with anger. I swung open the door and yelled,"Who the fuck is bangin on my d-"
I looked down and saw Mariah standing outside with a sad and worried look on her face. The moment I saw her face, I broke down and y face crumbled and tears fell from my eyes. She stepped inside the house and closed the door shut behind her then embraced me in a tight warm hug.
"August, it's okay.",she said softly.
"Mariah, I-I loved her. W-why would she do that to herself? Huh?" I sniffed "We could have talked about it. It didn't have to go there."
"I know, I know."
"She felt like she ain't have nobody, and that was on me! I pushed her away. That was on me!",I squeezed her tighter and cried.
"No August. No. You can't blame yourself for this."
"This whole time I was being selfish. Just thinkin about where I'mma sign to when in reality I wasn't thinking about her and I should have."
"You know." Mariah said barely above a whisper "We can spend all our time thinking about things in the past and about what we could or should have done about this, but the fact of the matter is it happened and nobody can change it. She's gone August and I'm sorry about that but there's nothing we can do about it."
I sniffed,"I know."
We pulled apart from our hug and I stared down at her with strong daring eyes. Mariah is the true definition of a "trophy wife". Of course she's not my wife but that hasn't stopped me from being able to spot a good woman when I see one. She's smart, beautiful, hard working, loving, strong minded, the list could go and on. I used to have a little crush on her back when we were little but I was far too shy and awkward to say anything. Chris is a lucky man.
She looked back at me and gave a confused laugh,"What? Why are you staring at me like that?"
I placed my hands back on her waist and pulled her close and started to lean in for a kiss but she pushed herself out of my grip and shut her eyes. "No, August. I'm sorry but this is so wrong on so many levels."
I dropped my hands to my side and nodded. Marah walked away from me and sat on the couch. She rifled through the stack of mail, I picked up yesterday and pulled one out and asked,"Hey what's this?"
I went over and took the letter from her and examined the envelope,"I don't know."
"Well open it."
I tore the envelope open and it was a piece of lined paper with familiar looking cursive handwriting. "I-I think it's a letter from Cassandra."
Mariah gave me a confused look and asked,"What does it say? Read it."
I nodded and looked down at the paper and began reading the long letter.

My dearest August,
Words cannot possibly explain how sorry I am for betraying your love. I took you for granted and was nothing but selfish in the short amount of time we have spent in L.A. You didn't deserve it and I regret ever having an affair, especially one with your good friend Trey. I know you probably still hate me for all the pain and sorrow I have caused you but I just hope that one day you can forget about all the bad times and only remember the good.
I have never loved anyone as strongly as I have loved you. You were my night and shining armor that brought me out of the dangerous streets of New Orleans. You treated me like a princess and showered me with gifts even when you knew you were struggling to pay your mortgage. I loved you with every ounce of my soul, I still love you.
If you could only find it in your heart to forgive me so I can finally lay at rest, that would mean the world to me. My time on this earth is over, I can't even stand to look at myself in the mirror without wanting to slit my own throat. That is exactly what my life has come to. I have nothing more to offer this world anymore so I guess this is goodbye.
By the time you read this letter, I will be found and pronounced dead. I will have already poured myself one last drink in a champagne flute but that drink will be the substance that ends my life. Bleach, the only thing I could think of that won't leave a trail behind. I love you to the moon and back and years from now our souls will reconnect in heaven and we can pick up from where we left off.

Love, Cassandra Olivia Alsina

I looked up at the ceiling as tears flooded out from my eyes once again and muttered,"Rest in peace Cass. I miss you already."