Chapter 11-Some things are just not meant to be

Fate is not cruel. However, It seems merciless only when you allow it to catch you. Like a shepherd who refused to run from a wolf and winds up between it's jaws.

........... .......... ...............

"Gulf, let go. We've to leave now." Gary Kanawut keeps trying to drag the six year old boy away from his mother. But he wasn't letting go. His mother wasn't looking at him. Why was she lying there with close eyes?

"Mooooommaaaa..." He keeps crying, shouting, scratching her clothes to wake up. Why won't she? Just then a hand held his hand.

"Aunt Pee...Momma not waking..Gup sad..Gup don't wanna go." Her eyes look at him. But there was no affection or sympathy there. There were only disgust and hatred burning in her eyes as she forcefully untangled that boy's fingers that were holding onto his Mom's clothes.

"Go." Her voice was stern. " Go before I forget that you're really my sister's son. Your father has already destroyed her life. Now you've finished it. " Tears started to fall from her eyes as she looks at the little boy angrily.

"Gup don't wanna go, aunt. up loves Momma. Momma not waking up. Gup don't wanna go aunt Pee" He tried to hold onto her as a very angry old man scopped him up taking him away from there. That day he shouted till his lungs started to hurt. Cried till his eyes were dry. But nobody held his hand. Nobody wiped his tears. And that day he understood that he only has himself. Nobody else wants him. They all think of him as bad. As if he is a monster. That's how his own mother looked at him before she died.

But still, what he remembers as clear as the day was the hatred he has felt in those eyes for him that was still burning there as she looks at him now. For the first time, Gulf was glad that Mew wasn't here. he was still inside with his niece.

"What are you doing here?" Preeda's eyes were looking outside from the balcony.

"I...I didn't know you'll be here." Gulf looked outside too trying to forget all the memories coming back to him.

A chuckled left Preeda's lips as she finally looks at him but Gulf didn't have the courage to look into those eyes again.

"A Kanawut never do things without planning, Gulf. And you're a Kanawut after all."

Gulf knuckles were turning white from holding onto the railing tightly. Kanawut. Is that all that there is to him? Does he have no other identity?

"I'm not my grandfather, Preeda." He looked at her not even bothering to call her aunty anymore. He had enough of her. he had enough of her from that day when he lost his mother. No point in pretending to be good now.

"Do you even understand that you're exactly like that old greedy man? Your talks, stare posture, the way you behave, the way you talk.... everything screams Gary Kanawut to me." A sigh escapes her lips as she held his hand in her and it made gulf jumped a little. It was as if he can still feel her hand on him when she tried to make him let go of his mother's dress.

"I don't care what you are or who you are. Just leave my Mew out of it, Gulf. I'm begging you." Gulf looked at her dumbfoundedly as she started crying. "Your father destroyed my sister, Gulf. Don't destroy my Mew too."

"I can never hurt him. I love him." He can hurt everything including himself but not Mew. No, never him.

"You still don't get it, do you?" She looked at him with pity and he wants none of it. "Even if you don't want to, you'll end up hurting him. Hurting people is in your blood gulf. You can't help it."

"I..I.. can't. Never. Why are you always comparing me to others? I'm me. Not Gary Kanawut and I'm definitely not my father." Gulf took his hand out of her grasp. "I love him"