Heartless

Saachi

It was a day before Karwa Chauth. Both the brothers were in the office and I heard shoutings from downstairs making me jump.

I saw a lady standing in the hall shouting orders at the helpers.

"Who is this girl my son decided to marry suddenly?", She shouted. I shifted my weight on my other foot feeling very uncomfortable. She seems to be very angry.

Suddenly she turned to me with a stern look. I looked down immediately.

"Who are you?", She shouted at me making me jump.

I didn't really know what to do but I need to do something at this moment.

I went near her and touch her feet.

"Stay blessed", She said sternly touching my head. I stood straight looking down. She had an aura of confidence and dominance around her like Yuvraj ji.

"Lookup", She ordered. I can feel her hard stare on my face. Oh God, please save me. I muttered a small prayer in my mind and then looked up unsurely feeling my cheeks getting warmer with the passing time.

She looked at me up and down and then smiled warmly at me.

"Princess Saachi", She called to which I nodded. I remembered meeting her in the temple that day.

"So you are the girl who happened to woo my son", She said as she came near me. I didn't know what to say at that moment.

"I didn't know you were interested in my son if you informed me before I would've joined the wedding", She told me warmly. Only if I knew I was getting married. She looked at me from head to toe and then nodded.

"You know you should wear more jewelry being the only daughter-in-law of Rathore family. I am happy my son didn't choose a gold digger for himself after all he got his brain from me", She said proudly taking in my appearance then took my dupatta in my hand. She shook her head.

"This boy is knowing nothing. You shouldn't wear this simple clothes. Rathores are known for their magnificence and grandeur. Of course, you are new here you won't know anything about it. But I can't really let you wear this much light clothes and why are you not covering your face with a veil?", She asked me as she covered my face with the veil.

"Aarya though is your younger brother-in-law but still he is a man and you need to cover your face from him as well", She told me to which I nodded. This seems so complicated.

"Good that Aarya told me about this wedding otherwise how would you have celebrated your first Karwa Chauth without your mother-in-law. You can call me Dadi Sa like others and I would make sure everything would be perfect for your first Karwa Chauth", She told me to which I nodded. At that moment I heard footsteps and turned to find Yuvraj Ji coming inside with Bhai following him.

"Stay there young man. Don't you dare come near me", Dadi Sa told him making him stop.

"What happened Dadi Sa? It had been 9 years since I saw you and still, you are behaving like this", Yuvraj Ji said as he tried to take another step towards her.

"It's not my fault. It's your fault. You didn't visit India and now also I came by myself. If Aarya didn't tell me about your marriage then how would she have known how to celebrate Karwa Chauth. There should be an elder woman at home to help her", She said pointing at me.

"And why is she covering her face?", He asked Dadi Sa.

"If you forgot your mother also did that and I also did that. Though not anymore because I am the head of the family now. But it is a tradition and she had to follow it. Besides she is not having any problem then why are you having a problem with it", Dadi Sa said.