Prologue

The sound of the cars that passed by. The cold atmosphere that envelops me, the warmth that I felt of my cup of coffee in hand as I finished reading a book. I closed the book and put it aside as I finished reading it, The Mystery behind NorthWestern University.

A smile tugs on my lips, it was a great book to read. I glance down, watching the cars passed by.
I pulled out my phone and open my messages.

Good afternoon, Mr. Hamilton. Hope you had a great day today just as how I'm having a great day. I'll be there to return this book.

The message was sent and I put my phone back in my pockets. I stood up from my seat and grabbed the book and went downstairs. I'm living in a two-storey apartment, away from my home. As I went downstairs, sudden vibration is felt on my phone. I pulled it out, a smile tugs on my lips as I saw who was the caller.

"Hey, Mom" I answered.

"How are you there, my son? Are you eating properly? How wa—"

I cut my Mom's sentence with a laugh, "Mom, don't worry about me. I'm fine, college life took a lot of my schedule"

"Okay, dear but be careful on your way to the library"

"How did you know that I'll be going to the library?" I asked with a laugh and rested the phone on my shoulder and went inside my apartment room, "Your duration of reading a horror, mystery books takes only 4 days"

"You know me well, Mom"

Before Mom could reply, I heard Dad's voice on the other line.

"I should go now, dear. Dad needs a bit of assistance on the house" and Mom ended the call. Living alone without my parents is great but the absence of their chatters made me feel alone.

I put my phone back in my pocket. I put my empty cup on the sink and grabbed my black and grey striped scarf that is hanging on the standing coat rack. The building is old and a bit run down, I rushed downstairs. The orange and blue sky and the air smell afternoon as I got outside of the apartment.

I wandered my eyes around as I walked through the sidewalk, it's been 3 months and I can't still get enough of the new life here. Living in a suburban area before, it was quiet and peaceful. The thought of the city back then wasn't much of a good idea for the fact that a city is a place that is surrounded by the honking of cars, people walking back and forth on a street intersection.

As I reached the library, being greeted with the subtle sound of people flipping their books and some are studying with subtle chatters. The library is the best place to immerse in other worlds being created by authors.

Books being arranged in dark brown shelves, I head to the librarian desk.