33

Halt

"Minerva, iha come here."

As expected, this party is full of wealthy people. I heard Dad invited almost all his business friends including those outside the country for the product launching. Our house is filled with lots of designs but unlike a typical party, the vibe of Christmas is there so it's obviously looking like a countdown for Christmas.

I glanced at my wristwatch before walking towards Dad. Auntie was on her side, probably having chit chats with her kumares from other companies. I tried to find Vino's parents from the crowd so I could at least greet them a Merry Christmas but there are a lot of people blocking the way.

"Yes Dad?" I asked as soon as I came by on their place. The table is filled with decent men wearing a corporate attire, they must be the investors from our company.

"Is she the beautiful woman you keep on bragging about, Martin?" I almost choked on my own saliva when I heard that. Seriously, did Dad really describe me that way?

Dad chuckled. "She is. Attorney Garcia, right?" He looked at me, wearing a proud face. "Finally, an attorney to our family." Nagtawanan silang lahat kaya nakitawa na rin ako. It somehow made me feel overwhelmed when Dad calls me Attorney. It's rare to find a parent who supports their child to whatever they want especially in the line of business.

"It looks like someone will break the record, huh. Fantastic." The man said. "I'm glad your Dad supported you in your liking, iha. If I were Martin, I won't dare to do that."

"Mr. Ignacio." The other man slapped his hand lightly, he must be warning him about the words that he said. I tried to fake a smile before answering him.

"My Dad supports me in everything, Mister. I hope you could do the same to your children. Parents shouldn't be the one deciding for the fate of their children." Even though I was annoyed, I tried to sound politely.

The man laughed. "Yes iha, but for us business men, deciding our children's fate is needed. Especially when talking about the company. Hindi ba, Martin?" Dad didn't answer but he faked a laughed to remove the awkwardness.

I laughed too, but this time it was a playful laugh that could annoy the hell out of them. They must be lowkey telling me that I'm a shame to my family since I didn't take the path same as my Dad and Mom. "Well I guess my Dad ain't a business man then."

The people around the table furrowed their brows, including Dad. "Because he didn't chose my fate, he respected my decision. I think that's the right definition of being a parent not a business man." They all went silent, Dad was just smiling beside me. "Now please excuse me because I still have to entertain guests." I looked at Dad and gave him a peck in his cheek. "I'll head now Dad."

Kahit papaano ay nag bow pa din ako sa harap nila bilang pagrerespeto. Even though they sound like doubting about the profession I will take, I still have to respect them because they're the investors from our company.

Actually, I don't have any plans of entertaining other guests. I'm tired of smiling and introducing myself to people as their daughter. Auntie also introduced me to her friends a while ago, para siyang anghel kanina at kala mo ay totoo ang mga sinasabi. I got no choice but to ride in, even though I'm annoyed to her, I still don't wanna ruin other people's impression of her.

"You must be tired of acting there."

I looked up to see who spoke. Inayos ko ang upo ko nang maaninag ko si Vin. He was just wearing a decent corporate attire with a bow tied in his neck. His hair is brushed up that gave his forehead more exposure. I smiled as he sat down not too far away from my seat.