✨Forty-Ninth Dream✨

"Are you sure you're alright carrying Inosuke?" you asked, walking while you watched Kanao carry an unconscious Breath of the Beast user, her arm slung around his shoulder. "I can carry him if you're tired."

"It's fine," she reassured. In truth, she was still a little embarrassed that you had contributed more than her in the fight despite her being the one who provoked Upper Moon Two. "Because of me, you can't see out of your right eye now," she said, her voice slightly filled with regret. If you didn't reach out and toss her to Upper Moon Two then you would've been able to dodge the ice chunk that hit your right eye.

"Don't worry about me, it's just part of my duty besides." You touched the the makeshift bandage from your uniform that you used to cover your eye with, "Considering I was the only Pillar alive and present against Upper Moon Two, my right eye was a small price to pay."

"I wish I could be as strong as you (Y/n)-san." Kanao smiled bitterly at herself. "You were so levelheaded amd you managed to compose yourself after Shinobu-san died, you even comforted me after the fight. I don't think I could ever be like that."

You didn't say anything, you just kept quiet. It would be better if you didn't ruin the mood, a motivated Kanao would be better than one that was scared.

"I'm glad you think of me that way Kanao." You smiled, hiding your hands behind your back so that she couldn't see that they were trembling. "But don't worry too much, after this fight then there would be no need for you to act strong. You can live a normal life after this."

"Really?" she asked. "Can I really live like that?"

You smiled, sighing as you patted her on the head. "Of course, you can live a normal life without the threat of demons and you can even settle down with your special someone." You winked suggestively at her, her face flushing. "So, who is it?"

"(Y-y/n)-san!" She stuttered, hoping that Inosuke didn't wake up.

"Is it perhaps Tanjiro?" You laughed seeing as she went quiet, her face only growing redder. "Make sure to remember me when you two get married."

"If we're done with this topic, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure." You nodded. "Ask away I suppose."

"How did you get your blade to turn red?" she asked. She was sure of it, the moment you but that giant ice Buddha, your blade had turned red.

"It did?" You paused for a moment before catching up to Kanao, your eyes on the blade that rested in it's sheath. "I wasn't aware of anything changing but I guess now that you mention it, it did feel like I was stronger than normal."

"Oh." She frowned, she was hoping you'd tell her how to turn the blade red since it seemed to be especially effective against them. "Then can you tell me what you were feeling before you sliced the Ice Buddha?"

"Well, I wanted to protect you two for one," you told her. Pillar or not, Shinobu now entrusted Kanao to you. And until your last breath, you'd look after her and the others who were weaker, "You may not know this but Shinobu nee-san entrusted you to me."

Her red widened as she stared at you. "Nee-san did?"

"Yeah." You smiled, nodding. "So I want to ask you. After this battle, do you want to live with me?" you asked. "Of course that's until you and Tanjiro get married or something," you added.

Ignoring your last statement, the sides of her lips curled upwards into a smile.

For a girl who just lost her family, she gained a new one.