Chapter 12

Chapter 12: The Akatsuki's First Strike!!

"So... Naruto attacked you?" Pain asked turning to Kisame and the rest of the Akatsuki members. "And both Deidara and Sasori are dead?"

"Yes." Kisame confirmed.

"I told you to not let your plan backfire." Zetsu hissed.

Pain glared at Zetsu, "I didn't plan on it. Nor do I know why Naruto would betray us like that!" He growled.

"Do you think," Konan paused, "do you think he found out about our plan?"

"That can't be possible! We haven't even told him anything. Li'l Naru would never do this to us!" Hidan yelled, his face clearly showing that he was in distraught.

Out of all the Akatsuki members only Hidan was very close to him. Hidan treated and loved Naruto like family, a family he never truly had. It broke him having to use the boy and the fact that Naruto betrayed them.

"Hidan, calm down." Konan ordered.

"But-"

"Hidan." Pain said glaring at him.

"So what are we gonna do?" Kakuzu asks.

Pain turned back around, "we will continue with our plan. First we will get all the other tailed beasts..." He pauses and raises his head, "then we will go after Naruto."

Hidan opened his mouth to oppose but then closed it, "fine." He grumbled and walked off with all the other Akatsuki members but Konan.

"Give them six weeks, then we will strike Konohagakure." Pain said before walking off.

~To Naruto~

"Oy!! Naruto! Get up!!" Sasuke yelled at the blonde who groaned and threw a pillow at the Uchiha's face. Sasuke head laughter from the door, he turned and glared at his brother.

"Shut up, Itachi." He hissed.

"Alright, alright. Breakfast is ready by the way." Itachi said and walked off still laughing.

Sasuke sighed and turned to Naruto who was still in dreamland, "food is ready." He said with a blunt expression. The blonde immediately shot up, sparkles in his eyes.

The Uchiha sighed and walked off. One thing he learned while living under the same roof as the blonde, for a nearly a six weeks, was that it was hard for him to wake up, unless food was involved. Other than that it was impossible to wake him up.

The two ate and changed into their usual clothes. Naruto had gotten new clothes, due to his lack of clothes. He wore a sleeveless grey jacket, black Anbu pants, a white sash around his waist and navy blue shinobi sandals.

Just when the two were about to head out an Anbu appeared at the front of the Uchiha house. "Naruto, you are required to head to the Hokage Office." He said and immediately disappeared.

The blonde turned to Sasuke, "sorry Sasuke, I'll have to hang out with you and the guys later." He said and left.

On the way to the Hokage's office, the blonde ran into Sakura. "Oh! Hey Naruto-kun." She smiles at the blonde who returned the gesture.

"Hey Sakura-chan." He grinned. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm about to report to Lord Fourth, I just finished a solo mission." She answered. "What are you doing here?"

"Well an Anbu told me to go to the Hokage's office..." He trailed.

Sakura immediately felt Naruto's mood change, she noticed his gaze avert from her hers and his hands shook but failed to hide it from the pinkette. "Are you ok?" She asks.

"I... I'm not sure..." He answered, eyes travelling down to the ground.

"I'll come with you and if the Hokage opposes I'll say no straight to his face." She huffed surprising the blonde.

"E-Eh? N-No Sakura-chan-"

"Nope! I'm doing it so don't bother." She said and grabbed his hand. "Let's go." She grinned.

Naruto felt a warm feeling overcome his chest and he smiled.

The two arrived at the Hokage's office and Sakura knocked. They heard a faint 'come in' and entered the room. "Ah, Sakura and Naruto." Minato says, a smile forming on his face.

"You wanted to see me, Hokage-sama?" Naruto asked.

"Yes... Sakura-"

"NOPE!!" The Haruno huffed.

Minato chuckled but then turned serious. "I apologize for using you like this, but I had Tsunade run some tests on you to find out which family you are from and I had an Anbu do some research on you..."

Naruto's heart stopped for a moment.

Minato picked up a piece of paper and read it. "Naruto Uzumaki-Namikaze, age sixteen. Deemed to have gone missing twelve years ago with severe wounds and was later presumed dead after a couple of days because of villagers assuming so." He read.

The Hokage put the paper down and looked at Naruto.

Shock clear on Sakura's face, she turned to Naruto. No wonder why he looks familiar! Sakura thought. She was snapped back to reality when she felt Naruto's hand grip hers tighter.

"You... are my child?" Minato asked.

Naruto stood there for a moment.

"I dunno, am I?" Naruto asked and let go of Sakura's hand. "Maybe if you hadn't neglected me all those years ago... maybe you'd know, Minato."

"Naruto, please answer the question. Are you, or are you not my child!?" Minato asked raising his voice, getting desperate.

If he is my child... how... how do I not remember him? And... I have no photographs of him... Menma and Mito mention only each other and Kushina only prepares meals for me and the twins... so how!? Minato thought.

"And I already told you, 'I don't know.'" Naruto repeated.

The blonde looked down at the ground, "I don't recall ever having family, especially people who neglect their own child." Naruto growled.

Sakura walked up to Naruto and put her hand on his shoulder. "Answer the question." Minato said, glaring at Naruto.

Suddenly the door opened to reveal Shikamaru and two other shinobi's. "Shikamaru?" Minato asked and looked at Naruto, "we will continue this conversation later."

Moments later Shikamaru explained everything that had happened, including the death of Team 10's sensei, Asuma. "I see..." Minato trailed, his head down. "You three notify everyone about the funeral. I'll tell Kurenai myself."

"No, I'll do it." Shikamaru spoke up. "Asuma-sensei wanted me to tell her something."

Everyone was informed of Asuma's death. Everyone was in shock, all except Naruto. They all attended Asuma's funeral that day. Kurenai, Asuma's wife, took it the hardest. The blonde looked around and noticed the members of Team 10 were not present.

Where are they? He asked himself.