Chapter 31: Endgame 2: A Hero's Bloodline

~Banjo~

I can hear a distinct heartbeat in the darkness that swallowed me whole... Where am I, I thought to myself. The last thing I remembered was seeing Akitoki all black and ugly, then he screamed then... nothing. I thought about it for a moment till I remembered that I needed to find a way out of this darkness, but as suddenly as I came to that conclusion, I appeared inside a bright red room. Being in this place made me feel sick to my stomach, but I decided to look around anyway. 

"Why does this room feel so violently disturbing yet... familiar at the same time?", I asked myself as I kept walking around, inspecting my surroundings. This room felt organic, almost alive even... The red shade of this room was really hurting my eyes, so I stopped and decided to sit down.

"Luigi is dead... my little brother was killed by Akitoki", I said under my breath, tears beginning to come to my eyes. "We never really saw eye to eye... he was all in the Brotherhood and Onikawa culture, while I was always counterculture, the outcast because of my own choices. You were an upperclassman, the elite in our social system and I was the low class dog, kicked out and despised by our father. I have always wanted to catch up to you, just so you could recognize me as a person, as your older brother... but because of him, I can never do that now. I swear on my life Luigi, that I will avenge you, even if it costs me my life!"

Suddenly, noises began filling up the room, the sounds of beastly groaning could be heard all throughout the room. I immediately jumped up and began scanning the room for the source of the noise, but I was the only one in the entire room. Was i going crazy? Was this room playing with my mind and sense of hearing that much? A sound bounced through my eardrums, causing me to briskly turn around to see Amatatsu, of all people, rising out of the floor and materialize before me.

"Hello there Blue Onikawa! Never thought you would see me again, did you? I am your worst nightmare, the one that can never go away!", he said, staring a hole into me.

"You again, Amatatsu? I thought I killed you on the Akitoki Battleship... No worries, if you wanna fight me now, I am more than game!", I said, staring back at him just as hard. We began circling each other as we waited for one of us to make the first move.

"This time Blue, it won't be like last time... for this time, my 'special power' will help me defeat you and all your little pathetic friends!"

"I will never let you harm my friends and family! I would much rather die that let that happen!", I said as I kicked him in the face; in fact, I kicked him so hard, his neck twisted and cracked. He hit the ground hard, seemingly killed by that simple kick. I looked at him puzzled, but walked away; hey, a win is a win, right? A bad feeling invaded my gut, so I looked back at Amatatsu and watched as he made his back to his feet. The back of his head was facing me, but he twisted his head so it was facing me again. The sounds of his neck cracking made me sick to my stomach, but I pulled myself together and charged at him again. This time, however, he grabbed my arm and blasted me in the face with an energy blast. I staggered backwards as he hit me in the gut with another blast, making me fall to my knees in pain.

"You see Blue, I am not like you or anyone else, for I have ascended past the mortal realm. I cannot grow tired and my body always regenerates! I am invincible!", he gloated.

"Ha! No one on this Earth is invincible... we all have some sort of weakness and I will find out yours Amatatsu! I will take you down!"

He pulled out his katana and I summoned my scythe, intense looks of hated painted our faces as we charged each other at blinding speeds. The room filled with the sound of cold steel smashing, clanging against each other as out weapons crashed together in a mighty struggle. Every swing of our weapons became stronger and stronger still until I swung my scythe so hard, the Chaos Energy that my scythe was emitting blew his katana out of his hands. I swung my scythe again, looking for the finishing blow, when Amatatsu melted into the floor! In my confusion, he reappeared out of the floor, smacked my scythe out of my hand, grabbed me by the throat, and readied a powerful energy blast at point-blank range. I was able to kick him off me before he fired the blast; at the same time, I was able to create some distance between us so I could think up a strategy in a short time.