o n e

"C'mon, Lukey, you're going to your uncles Niall and Liam today," Louis coos at his 2 year old son. 

"Papa no come?" the little boy with bright blue eyes asks behind his dummy. 

"No, baby. I have to work today, remember?" 

Lucas' bottom lip starts trembling and his big eyes fill with tears. 

"Aw, baby don't cry. You're going to make papa cry too," Louis sighs sadly. 

He picks up his toddler from the changing table and sets him on his hip. Lucas starts crying and clings against Louis' uniform tightly. 

After a lot of fuss Louis managed to get his son in his carseat and went on his way to his friends who were nice enough to offer to watch Lucas. 

He checks up on Lucas every now and then in the rearview mirror to make sure he's still alright. Every time he checks he sees his boy clutching onto his monkey stuffie and sniffling. 

When they finally arrive at  Niall and Liam's apartment, Lucas' sobbing went down completely. 

He rings the bell and waits until his always-happy friend open the door, "Lukey!" Niall smiles at the small boy in Louis' arms. 

Lucas ducks his head down in his papa's neck to hide his still wet face from his favorite uncle. 

"What's wrong?" Niall asks with worry. 

"I guess he doesn't want to leave me," Louis sighs, "I can't be late on my first day, though." 

"Lukey, uncle Li made cookies yesterday especially for you!" Niall tries to bribe his godson to let go of his papa. 

Lucas narrows his eyes and looks behind Niall, "Fow me?" 

"Yes, only for you, my sweet boy!" 

He looks over Niall's shoulder again, "No mommy, hewe?" he whispers anxiously. 

Louis heart breaks and he's sure Niall's is breaking too. He hugs his son tighter and kisses his cheek. 

"No, baby. Mommy isn't here, she's never going to get near you again, monkey." Louis explains with a trembling voice. 

Niall scrunches his nose to hide his discomfort, "Lukey, you're always safe with us, you know that right?" 

The small boy looks over at Niall and nods carefully. 

Niall tries to reach out for Louis to hand him over but the boy keeps a tight grip on Louis' shirt. 

"Papa no go," He cries again. 

"Baby, I'll be back before you even know it," Louis coos. 

Liam made his way to the door too when Niall was gone rather long and he hears his nephew crying, "What's happening? Why is my favorite monkey crying?" 

Lucas looks up with big tears dripping down his cheeks. 

"He doesn't want me to go and I'm going to be late on my first day, " Louis stresses. 

Liam makes his way back into the house and returns quickly with a homemade cookie in his hand, "I have a cookie but I'm not hungry, do you know anyone who loves chocolate chip cookies?" He asks Niall and Louis. 

Lucas looks at the cookie before looking at Louis, debating what to do. 

Louis chuckles, "I don't know Li, I'm sure I can think of someone, maybe Ni?" 

"No, uncle Lili, me! Me wan' cookie!" Lucas jumps in Louis arms excitedly. 

"C'mon than, cookie monster," Liam reaches out to take him from Louis.