Thirteen-"You're Strong"

I have never actually went through a break-up

I have never actually went through a break-up. You know the ones that you feel like you can't eat and you toss and turn all night in your sleep ones?

Those kinds.

My first boyfriend was Oscar and that wasn't even a real relationship. We only dated for a fraction of 2 weeks before we realized that we weren't really that compatible.

Even when we broke up then, I didn't experience those kinds of symptoms because Oscar was still there. We were still friends. Now, I was actually dealing with what it was to lose someone you love.

The day we ambush Oscar, Madi and I literally left in tears.

Twelve years of closed friendship broken as we left his house. We couldn't even talk to one another. We weren't even sure what to say to one another.

Oscar is our third piece. He's a part of our make up of flesh and blood and having him ripped away from us was painful. Even though we saw him in the hallways, it felt like he had gone. Passed away.

I couldn't stop thinking about what I should have done differently to keep our friendship because I couldn't help but believe that this was all my fault.

That if I hadn't stared into Lucas' window then I wouldn't have been on his radar to bully. That I wouldn't have cause the fight and then that wouldn't have ended my friendship.

I hated losing people.

When my dad left abruptly it was enough to give me a serious issue with people suddenly leaving. I got paranoid with my mother and brother disappearing from my sight. I always clung a bit more than I should and it took years for me to actually let up.

My therapist said that I was progressing beautifully. Too bad, I often relapse tragically.

I walked over to Madi's car and leaned on it, waiting for her to come to the vehicle. She had to stay after class to talk to her teacher for some after credits.

I watched the student body milled about, thinking how in less than 9 months we would be graduating and so much has already changed.

"You're deep in thought" his raspy voice came out from on the side of me making me jump.

"Lucas" I span around to see him standing there with his hands in his pocket. "Aren' you suspended?' I asked watching him roam his eyes over me. I wasn't sure if he was checking me out or making sure if I was really in front of him.

"Yes, I am, but I have to come here to actually talk to you considering you locked me out"

He's talking about the fact that after school, I practically run in my house and have made it a permanent thing to have my window locked.

"Yes, you told me to stay out of your way" I threw his words back at him. He smiled, nodding.

"You're smart" He stepped back assessing me with his thumb rubbing along his bottom lip.