Chapter 21.

The following week went on in a complete blur.

Emmett held me until I cried myself asleep that night. I knew crying wouldn't solve anything but my trust in Zac had completely shattered.

I called in sick that night at the Bar but knew I would have to go into Last Words in the morning and for the next following nights I couldn't sleep at all. I had grown so accustomed to having Zac by my side when we slept that without him now it was tough.

I knew enough of Zac's day to day routine that I knew how to avoid him. I would walk to the Bar and Last Words and every time I did, I would curse myself for not finding a car sooner. Maddie often gave me ride, but I hated to impose on her as it went out of her way.

Even though I tried to avoid Zac as much as possible we still ran into each other from time to time at dinner or when I would walk out of my room and he was there. Every time we sat down to eat, there would only be a few words exchanged between the two of us, and someone would ask if either of us were okay, usually Burney, and we would respond that we were fine and head off to separate parts of the house.

I wanted to be civil with him. Of course, I was still mad at him, but he will always be a part of me now, especially after my revelation the other night.

Emmett had told me that he did in fact break up with Sara, but that didn't change anything. He cheated on her and who's to say he wouldn't do the same to me. I didn't want to be his second or only choice.

Working was a great distraction. Every time I worked, my mind would be empty of Zac, if only for a couple hours, and my body would move automatically with the tasks I had to complete.

"Don't you remember what I told you when you first started working here?" Stevie says when I arrive for my shift. "Tits, get tips," she continues.

I looked down at what I was wearing. A black long-sleeved dress that stopped midway down my thigh and a belt to shape my waist and the maroon thigh high boots that Maddie gave me. My hair was in a high ponytail and I let my natural curls come through.

"I know, but I was hoping my great ass will be able to do the trick," I joked but I'm sure she noticed the joke didn't reach my eyes.

"Ah that'll do the trick," Stevie laughed.

Maddie looked gorgeous as ever, wearing a laced black singlet and black tight jeans, and she gave me a hug when I went behind the large bar.

"We need to snap you out of this gloomy state," She said, fixing the drinks so they were ready to be used.

"What gloomy state?" I asked.

"This gloomy state," she says, gesturing with her hand all over my body. "I know he's a cheating, lying asshole, but you are one fine, hot piece of ass and any guy here would be happy to have you," she continues.

"Thanks," I say sarcastically, laughing it off.

I only told her about the events of Zac and I when I came into work the following day and looked horrible. My makeup was barely done, my hair was a mess and I wore whatever black piece of clothing my hand touched first in my closet.

I found myself thinking of Zac more and more as the night drifted on. He was a complete mystery sometimes, but other times I felt as if I knew him better than the back of my hand. He made me so unbearably happy. I miss the way his warm body would be pressed against mine. I miss the way he kissed me gently. I miss the way we had our back and forth bantering. I just miss him in general.

"Earth to Ali," I hear Maddie call out and I snap out of my state, not realising I had been staring off into the distance.

"What?" I say and put down the glass I held in my hand.