Chapter 69.

"I'm sorry," Zac murmurs, leaning into me. His hand went around me, and he held me close.

I look at him briefly, dismissing him, but I kept my eyes on her.

She looked annoyingly beautiful. She wore a one shoulder light blue dress with a slit up the hem to show off one of her thin legs. Her hair was curled, falling loosely around her shoulders. A ping of jealousy shot through me, but I maintained a broad smile.

"Hello, Isaac," she speaks. She wraps her arm around him and kisses his cheek quickly and fire burnt inside of my chest.

Get. Your. Lips. Off. Of. Him.

I clenched my teeth.

"Hello, Sara," he responds. He keeps his hand around me but the other wraps around her.

"Hello, Sara," I say when the hug has gone on for far too long.

She parts from Zac, but her eyes are still on him.

"Hello, Alison," she murmurs and then her eyes flitter to mine. And then she does something unexpected. She wraps her arms around me and holds me tight.

"How are you?" she asks, when she parts from me. She smiles at me. It was a genuinely nice smile that touches her eyes.

What the fuck is happening?

"I'm- I'm fine," I respond. I'm shocked she was even asking. "How are you?" I ask her back.

"I'm great, thank you," she tells me. Her eyes look back towards Zac and her hand rises to his cheek.

"You look good, Zac," she says, and I'm floored. Her smile was so completely genuine and when her hand parted, she smiled back at me.

I was expecting this moment to go down with guns and explosions, but instead, here she was like a beautiful fairy, being nice to her ex and his new partner. I keep my eyes on her, no doubt a look of curiosity etched onto my face.

"Is your mother here?" she asks him.

"As if you need to ask that," he responds with his own smile.

"What I meant was, where is your mother?" she asks.

"Most likely harassing some poor caterer," he says, and she laughs.

"I'll have a look around." She already begins turns her head around, already looking. "Thanks for the invite," Sara adds, and touches one of his shoulders. "It's nice to see you, Alison," she looks at me with a small smile.

"You too," I say hesitantly.

She then turns and walks away.

I turn towards Zac when she was out of eyesight.

"What the fuck was that?" I whisper.

"Language," he warns, teasingly, but I shake my head at him, confused.

"I told you. Sara is a very dear friend of mine and that's all we are and all that we should have been," he says with a shrug.

I huff out a breath. I didn't know what to say or do.

"You were very good," he says. He wraps his hand around my waste, pulling me closer so I was pressed against him.

"Stop," I say, but had no conviction in my voice. Please never stop, is what I really wanted to say.

He leans forward and my lips are on his and oh how he tasted so good. It was a slow and steady kiss, filled with so much love that my legs were beginning to shake.

"Could you just get a room already?" Izzy says, interrupting us and we reluctantly part. "You know we have like seventeen vacant rooms upstairs... use any of them," he continues making me laugh. She extends her hand and gives me another glass of champagne. I could feel its effects on me already and knew that I should stop.

"I don't think I should have this," I say to both Izzy and Zac.

"You're about to sit through an hour's worth of meals with my family... I think you'll need it," Zac says with a small smile and then begins tipping the end of the drink up when I take a sip, making more champagne come forward.

A soft bell was rung, and all eyes fell on Isla.

"Could you please make your way to the dining room."

"May the birthday feast begin!" Garret chimed in beside her and all the guests chuckled.

Everyone slowly filtered their way into the great dining room that looked like it was twice the size of our house.

"Oh wow!" I sigh.

Zac, who had taken my hand to lead me into the other room was watching my reaction and laughed.

"Did you have all of your meals here as a kid?" I asked, in awe.

"Sometimes," he shrugged. "Sometimes I would eat on the private jet," he adds, and I snap my head at him.

"Your what?" I say, my eyes wide and my chin dropped.

"He's kidding," Izzy adds in and I swot Zac's shoulder.

"Making fun of how rich you are isn't funny," I tell him.

We found our seats with our names on little tags. We were thankfully placed at the head of the table were Garret was seated. Izzy did a quick switch of a couple name tags and placed herself seated next to me.

"Mother will kill you for that," Zac says to Izzy.

"So be it," he brushes it off.

We all take our seats as waiters began bringing out the entrée and we devoured it whole.

My glass of champagne soon became a glass of wine and Zac encouraged me to drink more and more. The conversation was light and the atmosphere was full of chattering voices and soon after dinner was also served.

I stopped counting at how many glasses of wine I was having, but my breath was heavy, and head felt light and I chuckled to myself.

I look down at the other end where Sara sat next to Isla and they were deep in a heated discussion, then Sara said something that made Isla laugh. Isla looked very carefree, not like the woman who presented herself to me earlier this afternoon, and I pang of jealously rushed through me that she preferred Sara over me.

Sara had it all at this point, the perfect body, hair and face, a wealthy family and connection in with his family... things that I would never have.

Zac reached over under the table and as if he was hearing my thoughts, his hand cups my thigh and he squeezes lightly. I suck in a deep breath when the feeling travels straight to the pit of my stomach and I try and suppress a moan.

I look at him to see if he could feel the electricity that I could and he swallowed loudly, indicated that he could. His eyes were dark and hooded and I'm sure his thoughts were on the same path as my own.

I wanted him desperately. Especially in the suit he was wearing.

I reached my hand underneath the table and rested it on his arm thigh and I heard him sigh with relief and then cough, reaching for his water. I was still taking little bits of my food with my fork with my other hand, keeping up the charade, but began slowly edging my hand further and further up on his thigh.

I squirmed in my seat, feeling the wetness between my legs already begin to pool.

Fuck I needed him.

My hand continued it path until I was rested over his bulge and I heard him grown softly in the back of his throat as I began to move, feeding my libido.