Chapter 39.

I got to my work a little before my shift started, thankful that I wasn't as late as I thought I was going to be.

Zari had already opened and was serving a customer when I entered.

I was still extremely angry from Zac stepping away from me, but now that I was at the work, I tried to let that anger go. I put myself completely into the work, soon forgetting my frustrated feelings towards Zac and engaging as much of myself in conversation with Zari. Owen popped by to check how the store was running and helped with putting away a stock of books that came in the morning.

He let us both go home early today, closing the shop earlier than expected to get another delivery of recent books and getting rid of the later books in the store.

As I was leaving, I yelled a goodbye to Zari just as an orange flame caught my attention at the corner of my eye.

"Alison!"

I turn my head towards the flame and see James running down the street towards me.

"Alison?"

"Hey, stranger," I say, smiling. I was glad to see him.

"Hey," he says, puffing a little bit with his arms outstretched and I hug him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, embracing him.

"I'm here to see you," he says. I was extremely honoured.

"Oh why?" I ask.

"Well, I wanted to see if you wanted to grab a coffee or something on your lunch break. Are you still working?" He looks around at the store for some sort of sign or answer to his question.

"The boss let us off early, so I have some time before I have to get ready."

"Just my luck," he says and winks which makes me chuckle. "Let's go," he says.

I was a bit reluctant, not sure if I should go, but a part of me, that was a little frustrated with Zac wanted to get back at him. I knew that was a really bad thing to think, but it was how I felt.

"What's up?" he asks when I don't move.

I pinch my face towards him with an all-knowing look.

"You're still with Zac?" he asks, a look of disappointment shadowing over his face.

I nod my head in response with a sad smile.

"That's okay," he smiles down at me. "Look, Ali, I would just like to be your friend."

"Ew why?" I joke and chuckle.

"Cause you are a fun person and I need more fun people in my life..."

"Well, okay then," I shrug.

"Great! Let's go," he says and grabs mu hand before I can protest, and I follow him.

"What have you been getting up to?" I ask on our walk to the closest coffee shop. He kept his hand in mine, which was concerning a little, but it was just a hand... nothing wrong with that.

"Nothing much," and I look up at him.

"Just a bunch of mischief?"

"Yes, the usual," he chuckles. "What about yourself?"

"Just a lot of work," I say with a smile. We finally reach the coffee shop, keeping our conversation light.

"Jane really liked you, by the way," he says while we wait in line.

"I really liked her too," I say. She looked almost exactly like him and was so lovely and sassy when we met.

"And she's also obsessed with those books," he says, which made me laugh.