Chapter 56.

How someone can feel this much love for another was completely beyond me.

I looked at Zac's profile as he drove with one hand on the steering wheel and the other laced in my hand. Beautiful arched nose, high cheek bones and eyelashes that made every girl jealous. His hair was curled perfectly, falling into his eyes and I was desperate to run my fingers through it.

The soft sounds of a classic song from the radio filled the car and I hummed along as I played with his fingers. I could feel his eyes on me suddenly.

"What?" I ask.

He tried to keep his eyes on me but needed to keep his eyes focussed on the road.

"Can you sing?" he asks, peaking at me.

"Like in general or did you want me to sing?" I ask and he chuckles.

"In general."

"I was in my year six choir," I say with a shrug as if that answers his question, which only makes him laugh harder.

"Ah yes, that explains it," he says, his voice dripping in sarcasm.

Zac parks close to the shopping centre, going to his boot and opening it, retrieving bags.

"You have bags in your boot."

"Yes."

"You have bags in your boot," I repeat, astonished.

"I do," he says, but he said it more as a question.

"I would not have considered you to be the type of person to have reusable bags in your car," I explained.

"Why not?" he asks. He still held my hand as we walked to the entrance.

"I don't know." Honestly, I just didn't consider Zac to be the type of person to have reusable bags in his car for shopping and it warmed my heart. Something new I didn't know about him. "It's a nice surprise," I add with a smile.

"Thanks," he chuckles.

He grabs a trolley, putting the reusable bags in the trolley. I walk beside him, following him down each isle as he puts items of groceries in the trolley. He looked so domesticated. I liked watching him, in particular, select fruit and vegetables. His long delicate fingers would select an orange, squeezing a couple before bringing it to his nose and smelling it. Another thing I didn't know about him.

"Did you want some peaches?" he asks me, putting the oranges in his bag.

"Sure," I respond, enjoying him shop. It feels completely domestic. I feel like I am seeing a completely different side of him.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" he asks.

"Like what?"

"Like I'm about to sprout horns," he says.

"Are you?" I ask, jokingly and he shoves me with his elbows. "Ow! Don't," I say and push him back with a laugh. "Don't laugh at me, but... why do you squeeze the oranges?" I ask honestly.

I watch his smile stretch across his face. "Do you not know how to select oranges?"

I shake my head and bites his bottom lip to try and hide his smile. "Okay... so," he says, selecting two oranges. "What you want to do is squeeze them gently and find the ones that have firm, finely textured skin..." he holds both of them up towards me as if that helps. "Which one is firm?" he asks, and I try not to laugh. I take each one and squeeze a little before holding up one.

"This one," I say and he makes a buzzer noise. "What?"

"Wrong," he says.

"This one," I guess now, holding up the other one and he makes the noise again. "Am I doing this wrong?" I ask, confused.

"Wrong again,"

"Wh-uh."

"Trick question... They're both shits," he says and I burst out laughing.

"You suck," I say pushing him, taking the trolley and walking away.

"I don't, but you do... sometimes," he says in a low voice and winks.

"You're such a pervert," I tell him, and he stays close to me, kissing my cheek.

Once we were done selecting our fruit and vegetables, we headed down each isle.

"What do you feel like for dinner?" he asks.

"Pasta?"

"Pasta sounds nice."

"It does, doesn't it?" I squint at him, making a face.

"Now, for the most important question..."

"No, I will not put it in my butt," I say quietly so that it was barely audible.

"What?" he says, responding quickly.

"Nothing," I shake my head, containing my laugh by biting my lip. I feigned nonchalance as I looked at a nearby cereal box, pretending to look at it as if I was interested.

He laughs loudly and I can't help but laugh with him and he nudges me with his elbow. He suddenly grasps my face in his hands, pulling me close. I hold his sides, allowing him to tilt my head up. His smile radiates down to me and I match his energy.

"You make me so, impossibly happy," he whispers softly to me, and his honesty completely floors me.

I look up at him, astonished. How can someone bring these emotions flooding through me? It was as if there was a string tying us together and holding us in place. He made me so incredibly happy in a way that no one else ever has.

I kiss him quickly, holding his chin in my hand and avoiding the on looking stares as two young adults kissed in the isle.

"You make me happy," I tell him and peck him again before stepping away.

We walk down the next isle to the toiletry items and I stop in front of the toothbrush varieties.

"Which colour do you want?" I ask him, holding up one of the toothbrushes.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting you a toothbrush for my bathroom," I respond, still looking at the different colours when his silence made me look back up at him. There was a look on his face that I couldn't decipher.

"What?"

"It's nothing," he says with a shake of his head.

"Tell me," I prompt.

"I like using your toothbrush," he says. He was full of honestly today. A warmth in my chest rose and I smiled broadly.

"What?" It was his turn to ask me now.

"You're just beautiful," I tell him.

I watch him turn his face away with a small smirk. Was he blushing?

He brushes his hand over my hair before kissing the spot where his hand brushed over.