Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

RAJASTHAN, INDIA

United Nations Medical Headquarter

Doc Nayeon led everyone to the sterile room. As expected, it was a room with nothing but white all over. Everything seemed to be made of stainless steel including furniture and fixtures. Then, there was the scent of antiseptic that all hospitals reeked of.

"Everyone, please settle down. We need to run some tests on you to ensure that you are cleared from infection." Nayeon nodded at the three doctors who were all wearing their regular white laboratory gowns and masks on. "It will just be a simple blood extraction and some body scanning. Once you are cleared, you will be free to go." She paused, looking at the documentary team members who flinched at the mentioned of blood extraction.

Soon, medical personnel began the blood extraction before starting the body scan which required Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung, and their other three team mates to pass through a black box with a somewhat infrared lights. Everyone obediently followed the instructions given to them despite the fear that was starting to creep into their hearts.

"What the hell is really going on, Doc?" Chaeyoung asked as she impatiently tapped on her knees.

The three doctors piled their way out after gathering the desired samples.

"I am afraid I can't sufficiently answer your question, Chaeyoung." Nayeon answered as she crossed her arms with a pensive look in her face. "Before I discussed anything, I would like to remind everyone that whatever will be mentioned in this room will stay strictly confidential. You are not allowed to divulge them to anyone." She paused, looking at Jeongyeon's team which included Chaeyoung.

"You can count on us." Jeongyeon answered on her team's behalf while everyone just nodded their head in agreement.

"This project is supposed to be a simple medical mission to help those natives who have little access to proper medication. But two weeks ago, three cases of sudden death caused by brain dead among residents were reported to us. Victims were member of the same family but the corpses were cremated even before we can get our hands to them for testing. Symptoms were all the same. Sudden rise in temperature leading to convulsion but will abruptly stop. We call them "attacks" for now just like in cases of people with heart problems. They were reported to experience at least four attacks before their body eventually stilled and expired. All these incidents happened in a span of three days. Cause is yet to be verified." Nayeon explained when suddenly the door opened and revealed a woman dressed in the same manner as them.

"Doc Gray, glad you came just in time." Nayeon greeted the newcomer who just nodded her head.

"I wasn't informed of the presence of civilians, Nayeon." Doc Gray glanced at the documentary team. Her face was stoic but for those who worked with her knew better.

"They are part of the documentary team and are sworn to secrecy." Nayeon explained shortly.

"As long as they know their limit." Doc Gray said before placing her laptop on the steel table. "We don't want to alarm the public with something that is yet to be verified. No live broadcasting." She scanned each team member's face like she was examining their level of trustworthiness.

"We know our job, Doc." Jeongyeon almost hissed. She was tired of all the stereotyping that people do to the media men. "For fucking Jesus Christ's sake! Not everyone loves overdramatizing things and spewing fake news." Jeongyeon thought asshe glared at Doc Gray who just regarded her with a stoic expression. Seeing no threat at all.

"Perhaps we should proceed to more important matters, Doc Gray." Nayeon cleared her throat after seeing Jeongyeon  clenched fists. She knew the woman didn't take insults to her profession lightly.