Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

RAJASTHAN INDIA

The surgery was finally almost done after a good three hours, all thanks to Somi's expert hands and years of experience.

"Damn. She always lives to expectations. This woman is a fucking genius." A young doctor thought as he moved the bullet away. His eyes were on Somi whose dark  orbs were focused on patching the wound up.

"I know right." Another young doctor whispered knowingly as he passed by her. "We're lucky she chose us to be in her team."

For some reasons, Somi chose those who were still in their early years of residency to be part of her team while most of the superiors chose more experienced ones, not wanting to burden themselves of errors that most newbies commit.

"So, is there anyone who wants to share what he or she learned from today's case?" Somi asked, glancing at the young doctors around her.

"Always stay calm." One young doctor chipped in.

"Assess the damage as efficient and as fast as possible." Another one added.

More comments on the technical aspects of surgery were provided by the other young doctors but Somi still didn't hear what she wanted to.

"Those are good points but I think we are forgetting something very basic here, don't you think?" Somi asked, raising her eyebrows since the mask was hiding half of her face. "I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those of sound mind and body as well as the infirm."She recited.

"Hippocratic Oath." Another young doctor chimed in.

"We do not discriminate in providing treatments. We do not have enemies except illnesses. We see no fault on man's intentions and actions. We preserve life regardless of race, age, color, ethnicity and beliefs. We are no juries to determine a man's worthiness of life. Please always bear these in mind." Somi reminded as she lifted her blood stained gloved hands from Chaeyoung's left chest.

"All vital signs are stable, Doc." Another young doctor announced.

"Thank you for all your hard work today. I hope you learned something from this case." Somi said, regarding everyone with a nod of approval.

Somi proceeded to the video conference room to report the incident to Nayeon and to inform the latter of the next steps she had in mind. She wasn't expecting to see Masahi and Mina inside, though.

"How is she, Doc?" Nayeon asked from the screen. "I was given a few details of the earlier incident."

"She's still unconscious but stable. She will remain like that for more days. I sedated her for extra measures. No vital organ was hit but she needs better facility for fast recovery. I highly recommend that we get her back to New York to receive better treatment." Somi answered straightforwardly.

"I have arranged for her return. Her lift should be there in less than an hour, together with her replacement and yours." Nayeon announced, causing Mina to feel a pinch in her heart.

"I'm not yet done here, Doc." Somi argued back.

"I know, Somi. I'm not replacing you permanently. I need someone with expertise to accompany her and monitor her during the transfer. You are the better option in your team. Besides, you can come back as soon as the patient is fully stabilized. This is an order from your superior, Doc." Nayeon said, leaving no space for further arguments.

"I understand. Thank you, Doc." Somi said with a grateful smile on her face. She was glad that the decision was made for her. As much as she wanted to finish the medical mission, her heart was not at peace knowing that Chaeyoung was not fully healed yet. The risk of infection was imminent knowing that they did not perform the surgery in the ideal operating room.