Give and Take

The weeks of December had come and gone with fervor. The snow had began to set in in excess. The dark knight sat perched on a snow covered gargoyle. His heart was lighter this time of year.

He'd subdued one of the three assassins, allowing Weiss breathing room in the process. Police had found the files in a hidden compartment of the Iceberg Lounge. Oswald's public status was brought into question. Victor Zsasz had been turned in to the police, pinned against the wall of the police headquarters. Next to him was the knife he had used, covered in his fingerprints and Mario Pipesci's, the first victims, blood. While he wasn't out of the woods just yet, he wasn't public enemy number one.

Life was better outside the suit, too. He and Yang were now dating. She was somewhat awkward in the beginning, similar to Ruby, ironically. Eventually she grew more comfortable. She was upbeat, and always somehow found a way to make him happy. Yang brought out the brightside of things, and Y/N couldn't remember the last time he'd smiled so much. Perhaps he had been wrong. Maybe he could be happy and be Batman.

Things were looking up.

"Master Y/N? It's getting late sir."

Batman eased his nerves to the voice in his ears. He'd asked that Alfred take up a communications position, speaking into his ear. It was under the pretense of relaying information to him while he was in the field, and while that was certainly true, he knew the real reason. Batman wanted to know the butler was still there. That he was safe, especially after the elder man's stint in the hospital.

"I operate at night, Alfred. Crime doesn't stop for festivities."

"Yes, but perhaps just this once you could let the police handle it. It's Christmas Eve after all."

"And this is Gotham."

There was a sigh on the other end of the line. It seemed both parties knew how the conversation would end, even before it began.

"Just don't stay out too long sir. I know a few girls who'd be overjoyed at your return."

Batman brushes off the comment, grappling out to the city below. There was a low beeping in his ear.

"I'm getting another call. I'll call in if I need anything."

"Of course sir."

Batman takes the call with a press to his ear. "Robert."

"Hey, Batman. Look, Black mask has gotten really stressed since you nabbed Victor. I think the guy's gonna do something soon, and crazy too."

"I'll be sure to keep an eye on him. I'll need you to do the same."

"Anything you need."

Batman leaps across the rooftops. He comes to a halt and stands boldly above the city below.

"Robert. How is everything?"

"Uh, well they're pretty good. That Wayne guy ordered these big renovation plans. So not only can we get a better place, but Hailey's school is being spruced up too. Plus I got a job."

Batman surveyed the streets. "What kind?"

"A real one. It's nothing too fancy, but maybe I'll eventually be able to walk away from all this. Show Hailey she can be proud of her old man."

A ghost of a smile came to the corner of Batman's lip. "I know she will. Thank you, Robert."

"Yeah. Just doing what I can, y'know?"