Target Acquired

Armed men walked around the vacant warehouse yard. The overhead lights were their only light source in the dim building.

"I'm tellin' ya, no way the bat's real." One man stood next to another outside the metallic building. They remained on guard at the large door.

"The hell makes you so sure?" The other turned towards his companion.

"People barely run in to this guy right? Way I see it, he's just some myth the cops came up with. Try to get us scared."

"Oh yeah? And what about the boss?"

"He's in on it too. Gets us more productive."

"Nah man." The other shook his head. "I got a cousin who ran in to the bat, he can't even tell the story."

"What'd he kill 'im?" The man's face shifts to anxious disbelief.

"No! He's missing eight of 'is teeth! He literally can't tell you!"

"Ay man," The man returns to looking straight ahead, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Silence falls over the yard.

"Ay after the truck comes in, what d'ya say to a couple-" He turns to look to his companion only to be met with the empty where he once stood.

"Ricky?" His stance slightly shifts. He leans forward to peer over the corner.

The orange hue of the light above him is suddenly cut as the glass of the bulb shatters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Men patrolled the metallic expanse, maneuvering around the large freight containers. Three stood in the center of the room, standing guard. One looked to his left, meeting eyes with another man in the distance. They share a brief nod of acknowledgment. Before he can completely turn his eyes back ahead, he sees the other forcefully pulled off his feet into the shadows, seemingly grabbed by nothing at all.

Disturbed by the sight, the man raises his weapon and hesitantly approaches. He sees a red freight container with its heavy doors ajar, the darkness of shadows obscuring its interior. Something small latches onto his chest. He looks down to the small claw on his jacket before he's forcibly pulled into the darkness.

Two others saw him walk down the artificial hallway. When they noticed he didn't return, they looked to each other before raising their own weapons. As they slowly advance to round the corner, they're abruptly stopped in their tracks. Their comrade is thrown out from around the corner like a rag doll. His back impacts against a container with a resounding thud and he crumples to the ground bloody and bruised.

Pulling himself up from the floor the shaken man wobbles to the others. His face was marred by bleeding cuts.

"Get.....g-get out..."

He was abruptly pulled to ground, an unknown force dragging him by his leg back into the depths of darkness.

The others quickly turned over the corner and began opening fire into the shadows. When there was no change and the building filled with silence, they quickly stood back to back, eyes darting around the room.

"I-It's the bat." One mutters nervously.

"You think it's true what they say? You think he can really fly?" The other flicks his eyes over his shoulder. "I hear he disappears in smoke. Like he was never there."