#4: Take Flight

A man walks down the streets of Gotham, the drab night sky blending over him. The street lights just barely illuminated the roads and sidewalks to see where one was going. There was no telling what dangers lurked within the shadows.

The man lit a cigarette, retrieving his lighter from his coat pocket. He takes a long drag from the stick of chemicals and the smoke plumes from his nose, as if an exaggerated bull.

As the man continued his stroll, he felt what he perceived to be a firm hand grasping at his chest. He looked down toward his shirt, visualizing a metallic claw in the darkness.

"The hell?"

Before he could speak another sound, he was hastily reeled into the air, like a bass on a fishing line, to the apartment buildings above. Once he had reached desired altitude, a forceful leather hand took hold of his shirt collar. He directed his eyes upward only to meet another pair inches from his own. Cold, blank, empty white void gazed into his soul. The bottomless, soulless abyss stared. And he stared back.

"Oswald Cobblepot. Word is he's been using refrigeration trucks to transport weapons through out the city. I want to know where." The modulated voice spoke.

The man says nothing. He simply stares at his captor.

And laughs.

"Hahahaha! I-I'm sorry, was I supposed to be scared? Look buddy you see where we are right now?" He says gesturing to the third floor fire escape. "Fall from this height ain't enough to kill me." He says with a smug grin.

"I'm counting on it." The voice responds unfazed.

With a light push, the man loses his conflict with gravity. He lets out a terrified, fearful scream. His perception of the figure became smaller, the buildings becoming wider and longer. His feet met with the pavement, though there was no grace to be had.

With the contact of his feet, his shins gave way. His legs let out a sickening snap. He collapsed in agony, the pain too great to continue standing. He groaned in anguish as the humanoid shadow made its appearance.

It took hold of his collar once again, but this time he needed no incentive.

"L-Look! I don't know much, ok?!"

The creature merely proceeded to survey him with its blank eyes. Not a word was said.

"Fridge company in the warehouse district! I-I don't know the name, but I know they pick up and deliver for thirty minutes at a time!" The man shouted frantically, praying for leniency.

The shadow kept its eyes on him, making eye contact and scanning him all at once. It dropped him to the ground with abandon, latching itself to the buildings above and soaring away.

Time Skip
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby sat on her bed, clad in her pajamas, her knees pulled up to her chest. She held a thousand yard stare, entrapped within her thoughts.

"You ok sis?"

Her concentration was broken. Darting her eyes to her left, she was met the the worried eyes of her blonde sister.

"Uh, yeah. Just thinking..." The younger sister's voice trailed off.

Yang recognized the unease it her sibling's tone.

"It's about that bat thing we saw isn't it?" The blonde asked carefully.

Ruby stayed silent, her lack of speech saying all Yang needed to hear.