#6: Even Hunters Are Prey

Y/N stands steady by the closed door, working to steady his breathing. He grinds his teeth, stands upright straightening his blazer. The door abruptly opens, a short man waddling out of the room.

"Oh, Y/Nie! Good to see you! How ya been, kiddo?" Oswald says with a chesire grin under his long nose.

Y/N's face reluctantly softens. "Quite alright, Mr. Cobblepot. And you?" He says dryly.

"Oh I'm sublime! Helluva party you got here, I almost feel underdressed." He says, his grin ever widening.

"Yes, well, I'm glad I could provide such an enjoyable experience." The youth responds almost apathetically. "If you'll excuse me, I have something I need to attend to."

"Oh, of course. Wouldn't want to impede on your time." He steps to the side now possessing a knowing smirk.

"I appreciate your concern."

He smoothly makes his way through the crowd, disappearing among the masses.

Falcone stands by the open door, adjusting the rose on the lapel of his white, pinstriped suit. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking we should keep our eyes open." Oswald says with a dark drawl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/N marches through the halls, taking no heed to a concerned butler chasing frantically behind him.

"Master Y/N, what happened? Shouldn't you return to the party? Perhaps talk to Miss Schne-"

Y/N stops in front of a grandfather clock, turning around on his heel. "The man who had my parents murdered is parading around their home. My father's home," he growled in a low, hushed tone; "I will be damned if I let him take another step, anywhere."

He moves the glass door from the front of the clock, setting the hands to ten forty-five. The old machine recedes into the wall sliding toward the left, revealing a set of carved stone steps.

"Master Y/N I implore you! We haven't even tested the suit yet!"

"Consider this a field-test." The young man states coldly, descending into the shadowy depths.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby was out of her element, that was for certain. She and her sister grew up in the woods outside of a small town on an equally small island. She was by no means a country girl, but she was far from accustomed to the suit and brooch wearing aristocrats she was now surrounded by.

She felt the ever present fear of embarrassment. From the way she talked, to her appearance, to even the way she walked. The latter of those exasperated further by the heels Weiss forced her to wear. By the time the dance came around, she would definitely opt for flats.

After successfully rendezvousing with her sister and her partner, they set off to find her ivory counterpart. Fortunately the search didn't last long.

Weiss was standing by the wall, isolated from the other party goers. She appeared to be in her own world, staring at the floor with a depth to her eyes. Upon making contact with her team, she was quick to form a rather unexpected decision.

"We're leaving." She says coldly.

"Sheesh, I take it Price Charming wasn't all that charming?" Yang playfully jabs with a smirk.

"It's like he hates us for helping people or something!" The heiress exclaims.

"Well maybe he just thinks we don't help enough? I mean, he's donating to the police right?" Ruby speaks in an attempt to calm her partner.