#3: On Leather Wings

It had been two months since the Prodigal Son of Gotham had made his return. And he had changed in ways unexpected. Most would assume he'd be out partying, living the life of any privileged child. Instead, he was in the depths of his cave, working to purge his city of its cancerous illness: the criminal element.

"You seem enraptured by our mayoral candidate sir." Alfred calls out carrying a silver platter.

Y/N leans forward in his chair, examining the large screens of information. "Oswald Cobblepot is an alleged gangster and benefactor of Gotham's underworld. He's been tried on multiple charges of racketeering and bribery. Each time he's been acquitted of all charges."

"Why would he pursue a political career with such a checkered past?" Alfred looks up to the main screen as well with a newfound interest.

"Control. He gets the entirety of the GCPD on his payroll, there's no one to stop his sales. He gains access to any and all potential customers and can get rid of any who oppose him. Nobody would bat an eye."

"Any known associates?"

"Only one who's been recently active. Roman Torchwick. He's been stealing a steady supply of dust. If he gets any to Cobblepot then we're looking at weapons on the streets Gotham's never seen before."

The butler steps forward and places the platter on the edge of the large computer. He removes the top to reveal a steamed lobster surrounded by garnishings and vegetables.

"I'm not hungry." The young detective says without taking his eyes off the screen.

"Perhaps we could install a microwave and refrigerator for you, sir." Alfred returns the cover to its original position. "You'll be pleased to hear that most of the orders we placed have arrived."

"What do we have?" Y/N inquires, now looking through Torchwick's file.

"Your compartments, belt, helmet, grapple launcher, and cape. The suit is still on its way from resizing. We had to order in bulk to avoid suspicion."

"How big were the orders?"

A brief pause languished in the air.

"Ten thousand." Alfred responds.

Y/N looks up at the older man, his eyes slightly widened.

"Well," he turns back towards the computer, "at least we'll have spares."

"There's a Schnee freighter making a large delivery of dust in Vale around eleven o'clock tonight, sir. If this man is like any crook, he'll attempt to take as much as he can as quickly as possible." The butler stands with his hands behind his lower back.

"Then we act tonight. We finish this now, even if we have to cross the bay to do so." Y/N stands from his chair.

The two make their way over to the items Alfred had mentioned. There was one glaring issue.

His lack of a suit.

It would be some time before the suit came back from resizing. But Torchwick wouldn't wait until he was ready. He had to strike now, or he might not get the chance again.

Y/N visually sweeps the cave. He spots an insulated jumpsuit in the vicinity of the generator. The gray body suit was relatively bland, only having black rubber ridges along the limbs and joints to break the monotony.

In another corner sat a pair of purple work gloves and black boots. The current conducting gloves that came with the cape were far too thin. He'd need something more protective over them.

There was black spray paint in a far-off section of the cave. It was far from what one would expect of a billionaire, but it would have to do for now.