The Masterpiece

The young girl's cold body laid still on metal slab. Her skin had lost all lively coloration. The only covering over her corpse was an off-white sheet.

Gordon looks down at the body with a somber expression. He glances to his left across the table, eyeing his shadowy companion.

"Her name was Danielle Paton. Reports say she went missing just last week."

"Autopsy report." Batman demanded, his eyes never leaving the cold cadaver.

Gordon sighs. There's a brief silence before his response. "Like an empty container. All organs below the neck were missing. Reason her neck was stiff was because it was filled. Liquid porcelain. She either drowned, or she suffocated when it solidified."

Batman peels back the sheet until it bent at her hips. His eyes landed on the long vertical cut down her torso.

"You said her organs were removed."

"Yeah. Judging by how, we're guessing whoever did this might be a doctor."

"No." Batman says pointedly. "A doctor would've started at the clavicles. He started at the sternum, and worked his way to the pelvis. It's how hunters disembowel prey when they hunt for meat."

"Except he took a different kind."

Batman's eyes narrowed. "Her age?"

Gordon hesitates.  "Look-"

"Her age, Jim."

Gordon halted. There was a looming silence that hung over the two. Batman's eyes inspected the captain deeply.

".....She was thirteen."

Batman's jaw clenched. "Any theories on the missing organs?"

"It's possible the guy could be selling them. We're looking into where she went missing."

Gordon tiredly rubs his face while he looks down at the body. "We'll run that dress she was in. Let you know if we-"

Gordon turns to the left, only to be met by empty air.

"....Right." He extends the sheet over the body. "I'll let you get busy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby sat in the corner of her room, her knees pulled to her chest. Her breath was ragged, never smoothing to a relaxed state.

She couldn't get the image out of her head. The body strung up against the wall. The music blaring beside the girl, posed as if she were a piece of art.

Whoever the girl was, she was no longer a person. She was an object to be displayed. If that wasn't enough, she looked as though she wasn't far off from Ruby's age. Someone as young as her, if not younger, had been brutalized. It very well could have been her on that wall. All her aspirations, hopes, and dreams would be meaningless; she'd be just a piece of meat to be thrown about.

Ruby jumped when there was a knocking at the door.

"Ruby?"

Her nerves eased slightly. It was only Y/N.

"Ruby," Y/N started, "I'm sorry...you shouldn't have seen that. You didn't deserve that...."

Ruby curled in on herself even tighter. She wondered how he could be so casual about it; how he could just be so accepting of the horror he found that night.