Checkings and Savings

"A second bank robbery this week. Victims say men in white masks were led by a man in a white suit. Attempts to identify him have proven fruitless, though he has one standout feature: a black mask. His goals and motives are currently unclea-"

Blake turned the TV off. She sat in the small break room, finishing her cup of noodles. She stands up and throws the empty cup in the trash. Grabbing her blue apron, she makes her way back into the main bookstore.

"Hey Tukson, you still need anything?"

The larger cat faunus turned to her, a smile on his face. "Nah, that'll be all. It's a pretty quiet day today anyway."

"Alright, sure." Her attitude becomes more timid. "Do you uh, have that special order?"

Tukson chuckles, reaching under the front desk. "Honestly I don't know why you're so embarrassed about this kind of thing." He raises his hand to reveal a book in a brown paper bag, the edges taped and folded.

"Most people aren't as accepting as you are." She tentatively takes the book.

"And? You should never feel like you have to repress yourself to be happy. Just be the truest form of you, they can't handle it that's their problem."

Blake pauses for a moment at his words. "Thanks....I appreciate it."

"Oh I know. You've been waiting on that thing for a while now." He feigns ignorance, brushes her comment aside. "Go on home. I can tell you're chomping at the bit to read it. Don't let me stop you."

The girl smiled and leaves with a quick 'thank you'. Tukson chuckles once again before the door opens a moment later.

"Welcome to Tukson's Book Trade. How can I help you today?"

"Hey," a boy with gray hair answered. "I was wondering if you help me find something real quick."

"What's it called again?" A girl with mint hair asks the boy.

"The Wayward Deserter." The boy says wagging a finger at his friend. He carries a large grin on his face.

"And what might it be about?" Tukson asks with a raised brow.

"It's real crazy. See, it's about this guy, he's sworn a pact with his brothers in arms. But his brothers start doing things a little differently; the guy gets cold feet." The boy begins a trek through the aisles of books. "So he leaves, and everyone's real mad at him, and I mean real mad." He points a bobbing finger at Tukson. "But they figure they shouldn't cry over spilled milk. Let it go. But the guy, he starts spilling even more milk. Gallons even."

"That, uh, sounds pretty interesting." Tukson raises his head in anticipation.

"Totally is." The boy puts his hands in the pockets of his jacket. "But that's not even the best part."

The girl walks over to a switch on the wall.

"Oh?" Tukson adopts a more rigid stance. "And what is?"

"The best part...."

The girl eases the switch down, the windows fading into an opaque white.

"Is how it ends."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Batman stood in the empty bank. Gordon stood at his side, notepad in hand. The other officers watched the two of them, their eyes focused on the caped vigilante.

"Were you able to tag the other banks?"

"Yeah, they aren't moving anywhere we can't find 'em."