The Brave And The Bold: Part II

Pain never changes.

That was a lesson Yang had learned early. There was the pain of knowing her mother had left her family without a second thought. There was the pain of searching for her to no avail, knowing that her efforts would never be returned in kind. She had come to know the pain of bearing the weight of an attempt to take a life, one she had grown to deeply care for.

Now, deep in her heart, sat the pain of that same life choosing to leave her own. Y/N had chosen to stay at a distance for fear of what their relationship could bring.

Yang drags her palm up her face as her lavender eyes brim with tears. Her shaky gasps rocked her chest as it rose with each breath.

She'd failed again.

First she wasn't good enough for her mother to stay, leaving soon after she'd been born. She wasn't smart enough to listen to her team about going against Batman, and now she wasn't strong enough to keep Dollmaker from attacking her. She wasn't strong enough to fend him off, and now Y/N held doubts about what that could mean.

"...Fuck......"

Yang hated it. She hated how useless she felt strapped to a table. She hated the urge to vomit at the thought of her assailant rummaging his hands through her innards while she did nothing but sit and watch. She was supposed to be the powerhouse of her team, strong enough to tear through packs of grimm alone, and yet she couldn't defend herself against one normal man.

She hated how weak she was. She hated the powerlessness. Most of all Yang hated the pain, whether it be her body or her mind it didn't matter. The agony was one she had grown familiar with, one she hated knowing.

Pain never changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weiss' delicate thumb hovered over the screen of her scroll, the name of a contact waiting under it. She ultimately decided against it. After all, Y/N had neglected to answer calls from anyone for almost a week. She knew the fact better than anyone else, she had been the first to go unanswered.

A heaving huff accompanied the clunking clatter of her scroll meeting her desk.

Perhaps it was a sign that she'd had enough Y/N in her life. She needed to focus on the dance, this was an event that would impact students of all years at Beacon. Both students and staff would be in attendance, as well as their guests. If anyone was knowledgeable of the involvement of an elite Atlesian heiress in the planning of the dance expectations would certainly skyrocket.

Weiss' pale blue eyes drifted back to the contact on her screen. Y/N was right, she overworked herself stressing over details rather than just focusing on actual execution.

The thought made the blonde drop her face into her palm in the most unladylike fashion. This was exactly the issue she was trying to remedy. Y/N was many things to her: a friend, an inspiration, and an object of infatuation.

He had fit the first of those descriptors the longest, and it was friendship above all that left her as worried as she was. Y/N was capable of handling himself, he'd done so for four years in the wilds of the world at the meager age of fourteen. That same fact worried her more than any other.

Y/N's manner of handling himself included self-isolation and a pledge to a life of danger, after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby sat in the academy courtyard, the only occupant of an open black bench. The biting winds chipped away at her puffer jacket, her head and neck only partially protected by her partially raised hood.