The Auction

Armed men in plain clothes shuffled around the crowded apartment complex. Music seemingly reverberated the building, the sounds of the people lost in the beat of the rhythm. The individual dwellings were the only escape to some modicum of silence.

A group of four occupied one of the dimly lit apartments, crowded around a table with a map on it. Their apartment had its own music playing, separate from the main cacophony of noise. Two of them counted racks of money on the table, one of them sitting down. Another leaned against the wall, smg in hand. The fourth was armed as well, leaning against the window and peeking out of it nervously.

The man sitting was dressed in all black, complete with a leather jacket, gold chain, and crew cut hair. He told a tall tale of an adventurous night.

"I'm going way deep on this broad, y'know, and she's like 'oh, faster, faster', and I just stop and I'm like, 'bitch do I look like Flash to you'?"

The others, bar the man at the window, laugh.

"Yo G, don't tell me you kept the chain on?"

Gino grinned broadly, showcasing the golden grill on his teeth. "Oh 'ell yeah! I let these bitches taste greatness!"

The group busts out laughing again. The man against the wall notices the stale mood of his comrade.

"Ay Pauli, you alright?"

The man at the window, Pauli, shrugs. "I'm just looking out for this bat thing, man."

The others began an uproar at the thought.

"Don't tell me your pussy ass is scared of a bedtime story?!" Gianni, the one by the wall, barked.

"I'm serious, man! You know they say this thing is super strong and fast! Some people have seen him fly before!"

"Oh really?" Gianni says with a smirk. "You make it sound like he could take Superman."

The joke claimed some chuckles from his friends.

"Look man, laugh all you want but this ain't no joke. Guys have said it goes invisible."

Donny, who had been counting next to Gino, looked to Pauli unamused.

"You're looking for something invisible out the fucking window. I want you to think about the words that just left your mouth."

Gino drew a golden desert eagle from his jacket. "I know one thing, a motherfucker comes at me I'll lay his ass out, invisible or not!"

Pauli scoffs and shakes his head. "Whatever. I'm taking a walk." He says on his way out the door.

"Uh huh, just watch those shadows; the boogeyman might get ya." Gianni chides.

Gino and Donny snicker and chortle at the jab as the door closes on them.

Pauli strolled down the dark hallway. The lighting wasn't what struck him as odd about the atmosphere, it was that it was unrecognizably quiet.

There wasn't the usual bustle of the guys counting up racks or playing cards. There wasn't the typical ambient noise of strippers plying their trade and being discarded afterwards.

There was only the pregnant silence to meet the lone man.

Taking a few steps, Pauli felt something hard tap against his foot. Looking down, he noticed it was a handgun. It wasn't alarming, someone simply could have dropped it, it had happened before even. After another few steps, he hit something else. He looked down again, this time finding a submachine gun.