The Brave and The Bold: Part III

"Look: I get there's dope, I get there's gang bangers, I even get that one of ours was here off duty..." Bullock ranted as he scratched his scalp. "But can someone explain how the guy gets his fuckin head chopped off?!"

One of the CSI officers snapped a picture with a bright flash of his camera. "Going off his wounds, I'd say a blade, like a machete or sword, but there's no blood around the neck wound. It's totally cauterized."

Bullock offers the man only a tired glare in response. "Clearly I must be speaking French, cuz your English wasn't all there."

The other officer released an exasperated sigh. "The only way there wouldn't be any blood is if something were hot enough to close the wound before blood could flow. Something that hot? Jesus, it would have to be a laser."

"So that's what we're looking for? A laser sword?"

"Well it's either that or a weaponized power washer. Take your pick." The other man retorted as he began to pack his equipment.

"Huntsmen are the only kinds of people that would have something like that." His partner added, standing from his kneeling position beside one of the other bodies. "Maybe it was one of them?"

"Nah, that'd be insane. Besides, if one of them ever did go rogue, why go for crooks and cops? Wouldn't it be a huntsman-on-huntsman kinda thing?"

"It's not any more insane than some bat-man-thing flying around." The investigators own statement seemed to make him reconsider his thoughts. "You think he had something to-"

"No." It was Bullock to speak this time, drawing a proverbial line in the sand.

Harvey Bullock was a detective by occupation and by nature, he knew well to recognize the signs and situations around him. He was smart enough to know what he was standing in wasn't the aftermath of a sting operation gone wrong, if the lack of any strike team report or wired microphone and obvious badge were anything to go by. He knew what laid before him was a drug deal where the officer had in fact been the buyer, as well as that right now the department was of the opinion that any officer was either a saint or an unholy sinner. Bullock knew the department couldn't handle the idea of their own people being corrupt, not now.

He also knew that, whatever this was, Batman had nothing to do with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mornings were a matter of extreme planning and execution. That was how Weiss approached every day. It was why she woke to her outfit laid out from the night prior. It was why she spent so much time meticulously orienting her hair, comparable to Yang's own devotion.

It was why she now stood at the doors of Wayne Tower.

The past two weeks had displayed no attempt at communication from her closest and oldest friend. Weiss Schnee was a girl of practicality and, in no small part as a result of their friendship, compassion. If Y/N would refuse to answer her calls then she would simply have to see him in person, especially when it regarded an invitation to her school dance.

No such ideas were available to the receptionist who sat bug eyed at her entry.

"O-Oh, Miss Schnee! How can I help you?" The floppy eared dog faunus asked anxiously.

"Hello. I was wondering if I'd perhaps be able to talk with Y/N, if he isn't preoccupied of course."

Weiss didn't miss the way the young woman's expression dropped.

"I'm sorry ma'am......Mr. Wayne hasn't been in for quite some time now..."

"Is that so....?"

"Y-Yes, well......after we saw the news, we all thought it best to give him some privacy....." The young woman spoke just barely above a whisper, her ears somehow drooping even more.