Chapter FORTY-THREE

Elijah's P.O.V

I flipped through the files my Dad dropped earlier, sighing. I have been in my father's study ever since I left school. My eyes threatened to drop close but I kept them open, I wanted to be done with this work as fast as I can.

"Honey?" My mom called, peeping her head through the small opening.

I looked up at her, smiling. "Mom" I answered.

She smiled back and entered, closing the door behind her. "It's time for dinner so be fast with your work, you know how serious your father takes family meals" she said and petted my head.

"Okay, I'll be done soon" I nodded, tiredly and continued working. There was silence for sometime as she still stood, watching me.

"Elijah" she broke the silence as I looked up. "We.....we need to talk to you about something. You dad and I" she said.

I furrowed my eyebrows at the way she looked at me. It was almost an apologetic gaze " Okay. I hope there's no problem?" I raised and eyebrow at her and she shook her head, smiling.

"Meet us in the dining table soon" she said and kissed my forehead before leaving. I could still hear the clicking of her heels against the tiles after she left the room.

I resumed my work, tiredly. I quickened my pace although with inputs of occasional yawning and stretching. Half an hour later, I completed the work. I neatly arranged the files and set them aside in the desk before leaving the study. I locked the study room and headed to the dining.

"Took you long enough" My dad said as soon as he saw me coming towards the table. He was neatly eaten the food in front of him as he sat on the end of the long table. My sister sat in his right side while my mom sat on the left side.

"It's okay darling. Let's eat" My mom quickly said to prevent any argument which had become a daily routine in the house.

I gave my dad a hard look and made my way to the seat beside my sister. I sat down and one of the maids brought my food. It was Medittarenian Shrimp Kabobs. Just like Alex had ordered at the restaurant. With a little smile, I picked up my cutlery and began to eat.

"I heard you got the highest in your exams" My dad said, directing his gaze at my sister. Kelly shifted uncomfortably I'm her chair and cleared her throat.

"Yes" she said, looking at my dad. Sometimes I just wish she got better. She deserved better than the way he was treating us.

"That's impressive. Now you're truly showing that you're the daughter of the Perkins" My dad smiled proudly. Kelly pasted a fake smile and nodded, as she continued her meal.

"Good job sweetie" My mom said, smiling at my sister warmly and my sister smiled back. I gave a slight nudge and raised a thumbs up under the table, she grinned at me before continuing her food.

"Elijah, what have you achieved?" My dad suddenly said, shifting his gaze to me. His gaze felt like daggers burning holes on my face. I cleared my throat as I sensed the tension in the air.

"I completed the files you asked me to-" He cut me off before I could finish.

"But it took you more than three hours to do that and you call that an achievement?" He said, dropping his cutlery and focusing on me. I gulped down my food and clenched my jaw in anger.

"I'm not a robot. The work was bulky" I said with a stone expression. My dad chuckled darkly.

"You call that bulky? As the next CEO of my company, that should be a piece of cake to you!!" He roared at me. My mom and sister gave each other a look. My sister quietly stood up and went up the stairs while my mom placed a hand on my dad's shoulder.