Chapter SEVENTY-FOUR

Elijah's P.O.V

"A Chinese woman?" Detective Robert asked  and I strolled along hallway.

"Yes. Seems like she had a message for her daughter" I answered as I put my left hand in my front pocket.

"We found a woman when we raided the building but the thing is..." He trailed off, making me worried.

"What's wrong?" I furrowed my eyebrows and he sighed.

"She was already dead" he said and I stopped strolling. "We found her body in one of the rooms. She was shot" he added. I felt my palms turn cold.

I heaved a sigh "How about a phone? Or anything we can use for identification?" I asked.

"There's only a photo of her and a little girl" he said.

"Can I get it please? I'm at the hospital " I requested and he hummed.

"Alright. I'll send one of my boys" he said and I hung up.

My heart broke as I thought of what the detective just said. I hope Axel rots in jail. He deserves to stay there for the rest of his life.
I ran my hands through my and groaned. How will I tell this to Alex?

My phone buzzed in my palms and I checked to see another message notification from Stephanie. She has been spamming me messages since the incident. I sighed. I clicked on the notification.

Steph- Why are you ignoring me? Please text me back. I'm worried sick

I shoved my phone in my back pocket, sighing and walked back to Alex's room. I saw Bex seated on the bed beside her chatting heartily and a grin grew on my face.

"Bex!" I exclaimed and she turned around with a straight face.

"Elijerk!" She stood up and walked over, embracing me. Elijerk? She took a step back, maintaining the smile on her face. "I honestly thought I'd never get to see you guys again"

I raised an eyebrow. "Elijerk?"

She cleared her throat exchanging a look with Alex and Zoey . Alex chuckled slightly and I narrowed my eyes at Bex. "Well, come to think of it. It suits you, doesn't it?" Bex batted her eyelashes at me.

I scoffed. "Definitely, Bexass" I countered back and she gasped.

"You did not just call me that" she dramatically raised the arm of her hospital dress like she wanted to beat me. Zoey quickly walked over and placed her hands on Bex's shoulders, dragging backwards.

"Okay okay, that's enough. Let's focus on healing" Zoey said as she sat Bex down on the bed. She glared at me before rolling her eyes.

We heard a knock on the door and a nurse came in. "Hello kids, sorry to interrupt but Alex needs to rest now" she smiled warmly at us.

I nodded and we bid our goodbyes to Alex and left the room. My phone buzzed in my back pocket, I reached for it and checked who was calling. I switched off my phone and put it returned it to my back pocket. I had a lot of things to figure out and I needed enough time.

We got to the reception and met Alex's mom and Daisy laughing as the watched a video on a phone. They saw us coming over and stood up. "Bex dear" Alex's mom, Susan, pulled Bex in a hug. "How are you?"

"I'm doing fine, Susan. I'll be out by tomorrow" she grinned and Susan grinned back.

"Great. I'll let your parents know how you're doing" she said and Bex's smile faltered but she nodded.

"Why did you leave?" Daisy asked, looking at us.

"Visiting hours are over" Zoey pouted and Eddy draped his arm over her neck, pulling her close.

"Well, let's head home then" Susan said as she picked up her bag. We all left the hospital together and Susan left in her car while I left with Daisy.

We got to Daisy's place and got out of the car. "Urm...Daisy, I need to see someone. I'll be back before dinner" I said, catching Zoey and Eddy's attention.

"Alright dear" Daisy smiled as she entered the house. Eddy walked over to me.

"Is everything okay, man?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah. Just trying to fix things" I said and he raised an eyebrow, waiting for more explanation. "I'll explain everything later, I promise" I assured and he nodded.

Zoey passed me a small smile and I smiled back as they headed inside. I hailed a cab and made my way to Stephanie's place.

I got down from the cab and paid the driver when I got to the front of her building. I bright out my phone and called her, she picked almost immediately.

"Oh my God, Eli! Where did you put your phone? I sent you dozens of texts and called you multiple times--"

"I'm outside" I cut her off and the other line went silent.

"Don't you want to come in?" She asked. I sighed.

"Stephanie..."

"Come in" she said and hung up. I ran my fingers over my hair before making my way inside.

I opened the front door and found her sitting on the couch. I slowly closed the door and stepped in, standing. She was wearing a faded denim skirt and a large shirt with Tom and Jerry prints.

"Eli" she stood up and walked over to meet me where I was standing by the doorway.

"I'm confused" I blurted out. She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Confused? About what?"

"Everything that's going on." I answered, running my palms down my face.

I heard her scoff and I looked up. "What exactly is going on? You ghosted me for days. I didn't know where you went to or what happened, you didn't return my texts or calls and you show up at my house and tell me you're confused. I don't think that's how things work, Eli." She yelled.

"I'm sorry for not returning your calls and texts, a lot of things happened--" I started but she cut me off.

"Then let me know for God's sake. I couldn't reach you at all, did you even think about how I'd feel?" Her voice broke as she hung her head low.

My heart squeezed at the sight and I suddenly had nothing to say. "I'm sorry" I said and hugged her. "I'm really sorry" I rubbed her back comfortingly. I think I already have my answer to my confusion.

She hugged me backs and sniffed. "Sorry won't cut it next time, stupid." She mumbled and I chuckled.

"Does that mean you've forgiven me?" I smiled, pulling us apart.

"Not yet" she pouted, pushing her hair out of her face and looking away.

I held her chin and pecked her lips "Now?"

She smiled. "Come here" she pulled me by the collar of my shirt, locking her lips with mine.

××××××××××
29/07/2022