Chapter SEVENTY-SIX

Nicholas's P.O.V

I watched the nurse open the door and exit the room, leaving me in the large room. There was a black out curtain plainly swept to the side that revealed a bay window etched to the wall, it was slightly open. I looked out sighing, my disruptive thoughts taking over.

The nurses had answered all my questions but why was my mind still not at ease? I remember flashes of what happened. I looked away from the window and closed my eyes. I felt numb. The heart monitor beeped rhythmically and the sound bounced off the cream coloured walls.

The door slowly opened and my eyes peeled open, in the direction of the door. Daisy stuck her head in the small opening and on meeting my gaze, she smiled and rushed over. "Oh Nicholas!" she cried as she stopped by the side of my bed.

She took my hand, the one that wasn't connected to a tube, in hers with teary eyes. "Grandma" I breathed out, pleased as I squeezed her hand. I shifted my attention to the door as Zoey entered, Eddy following behind her. They walked towards me, smiling.

"Nick" She smiled, placing her hand on Grandma's. "How are you man?" Eddy asked as he wrapped his left arm around her.

"Alive" I joked as Grandma and Zoey gave me a disapproving look. "Chill. I'm good. I can barely feel anything" I laughed.

"I'm saving your smacks for when you're back home" Grandma narrowed her eyes at me as I pouted. Zoey let out a mocking chuckle. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Grandma" I whined. She grabbed a plastic chair nearby and sat beside my bed. She gently placed her palm on my cheeks. Before I could react, I saw a streak of black hair enter the room. I immediately recognized the vanilla scented fragrance. Alex.

"We've missed you" I heard faintly but my attention was focused on the dark haired girl standing behind Eddy.

"Hey man" Elijah appeared, blocking my view and my gaze shifted to his guilty expression. "Listen, I'm really sorry. I know I messed up big time and-"

"It's chill. We're good" I interrupted. A small smile graced his lips.

"Thanks Nick" he said and Zoey snorted. He narrowed his eyes at her and she stuck her tongue out, he rolled his eyes with a smile.

Bex shoved her head between Eli and Eddy with a fake smile. "Thank you"

She squeezed her body between then dragging Alex out of hiding. "Hello Nick" Bex greeted and I responded with a smile.

Bex's bestfriend stood awkwardly, her fingers playing with themselves as she looked at the ground like it's a new interesting discovery.  "Well?" Bex tapped her feet on the ground impatiently.

She cleared her throat and stole a glance at me. The corner of my lips twitched up a little as soon as I saw the hairband holding her long hair together, although a few streaks managed to escape. The troubling feeling in my stomach dissolved and I felt at ease. Oh?

"Alex, we don't have all day" Zoey raised an eyebrow at her.

"What's going on?" Grandma asked, amusement evident on her face.

"I'm curious too" Eddy said as the room fell silent waiting for Alex.

She cleared her throat for the second time, earning a nasty look from Bex. "Well...I-....What I wanted to say was- Um-"

"Bitch-"Bex started.

"I know! I'm talking" She quickly countered. She looked at me and I felt a tingling sensation in my stomach. It's probably effects of the drugs. Definitely the drugs.

"I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry I never told you guys about Axel and how we were connected. I just wanted to forget it all" She said.

"Well, we're your family. You should trust us" Daisy took Alex's hand to comfort her. "We love you, okay?"

Alex smiled and nodded. She looked at me and it felt like she had more to say. To me. I squinted my eyes trying to figure it out but she looked away before I got too lost in her blue eyes. Cliche, I know.

The atmosphere was nice with my family and friends around. Everyone chatted heartily about the things they did before I woke up. Daisy left us in the room to make enquires about my discharge.

Zoey filled me in on things that have been happening but I caught myself stealing glances at Alex every second. Is she different or it's just me? Probably the drugs. Damn, I can't wait to be out of this place.

Eli and Eddy walked up to me and Zoey went to hang out with Alex and Bex. "So have you and Alex had the talk yet?" Eddy asked, throwing Eli off guard.

"Someone is unnecessarily straightforward today" Eli said and after a short pause he sucked in air through his teeth. "Not yet. I want everything to cool down you know"

"Well you should" Eddy prodded and I shifted uncomfortably.

"I like Stephanie and we've been hanging out alot...."Eli suddenly blurted. We both stared at him. "I know, I know what you guys think but come on man, we actually talked and she's amazing" He said.

"I see" I kissed my teeth, eyeing him.

"What?"

"Nothing.  I just hope she actually feels the same way" I answer and he rolled his eyes.

"Ofcourse she does. I actually got to know her, you know and she's not bad" he said with a small smile.

"Well, I'm happy for you I guess" Eddy said and I shrugged. Eli patted him on the back.

"Now I just need to speak with Alex which might earn me a few curse words and maybe a kick in the gut" he sighed. I stole a glance at Alex again but this time she was already looking. She quickly looked away and rubbed her palms against each other. I chuckled silently. Weirdo.

"You deserve them" Eddy snorted as Eli sighed again. He checked the brown leather wristwatch around his wrist. "I have to meet up with my parents in a few" he says, dropping his arm by his side. He stared at me.

"What's with the stare?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I'm meeting my parents" He paused. "With Zo"

"Oh? That's fast?" I raised an eyebrow with my lips in a straight line.

"Oh come on. Is it?" Eli butted in. I rolled my eyes.

"Well. Take care of her so you don't loose your balls" I threatened. He smirked, nodding as Eli laughed.

"Yeah yeah. Well, later lads" He said. Zoey blew me a kiss before leaving the room with Eddy.

I watched Bex leave a few minutes after. "Get better, Nick. We miss your annoying ass" Bex called at the door before shutting it close behind her.

Alex stood awkwardly at the corner of the room while Elijah sat on the chair beside me on the bed, typing on his phone with earbuds in.

"So are you going to stand there or communicate like a normal person?" I teased and she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"I guess getting shot still doesn't change you" She looked at me pointedly, walking closer and sitting opposite Eli on the edge of my bed. Success

I smirked. "What? You don't like me like this?"

"I don't"

"Well the feeling is mutual" I countered, pouting. Lies.

She stared at me. "How ironic" she tilted her head to the side. Cute. "I don't think you'd take a bullet for someone you don't like"

×××××××××××××××
05/10/2022