Chapter SEVENTY-ONE

Elijah's P.O.V

I sighed as I ate waffles that Daisy served Zoey and I. The others were at their homes and I stayed at Zoey's because I didn't have a home to go to. With the atmosphere obviously gloomy, I didn't have any appetite and it looks like neither did Zoey from the way she played with the waffles on her plate absentmindedly. Daisy brought her plate of waffles to the dining and took a seat between Zoey and I.

"Why are you both not eating your foods?" Daisy asked, looking from Zoey's plate to mine. "You better not waste my waffles. I won't forgive you for that" she added.

There was silence for a while and I heard whimpering. I looked up from my food and at Zoey who has her head bowed, her hair covering her face. Daisy sighed using her right palm to cover her face and the other to rub Zoey's back. My heart dropped at the sight of the two of them.

Daisy sniffed and stood up as Zoey broke out in cries, hugging Daisy by the waist and burying her face in her silk dress "Grandma, I'm scared" she cried as Daisy rubbed her back.

"He'll be fine. He's alright. Don't cry, honey" She said as a tear ran down her face. She hastily wiped it when she caught me looking at her. Opening her other arm inviting me for a hug, I stood up and embraced her as well.

Nick has always been there for me. He's not a friend, he's a brother who has always had my back. He has always been the one I run to when I feel like I can't take what my dad does to me anymore. What changed? Was it me? Was it him? Maybe it wasn't any of us. Maybe it just happened. The trust I had for him wavered and it was my fault. I was insecure and a jerk, I was looking for someone to take out my frustrations on and he just happened to be there.  Words cannot express how terrible I feel after blaming him for things he didn't do and relying on rumors rather than the trust between us.

"It's okay, kids. Let's clean up and go to the hospital to see how he's doing" Daisy said as she softly patted my hair. I nodded and Zoey wiped her face that's now red and swollen from crying so much.

She stood up and took her plate to the kitchen. I followed her, taking my plate as well. I watched as Zoey slowly scrubbed her plate with the sponge. I dropped my plate on the zinc and collected the sponge from her.

"I'll do it" I said and she passed me a small smile before leaning against the counter and watching me do the rest of the dishes.

"Do you think he'll be fine? Nick." She asked in a small voice. To be honest, I didn't know either. There's nothing I would wish for right now than for him to be fine and back to his old self again. I owe him a lot of apologies.

"Yes. He'll be fine. He wouldn't want to see you like this you know. So go ahead and clean up so we can head to the hospital" I assured her, passing her a smile.

She nodded and left the kitchen. I cleaned up all the kitchen and wiped my hands. I headed to Nick's room and took a shower. Some of my clothes are in his room because his place was my safe haven whenever I have mental breakdowns.

I went to his closet and took a green button down shirt with blue faded jeans. Drying my hair with the towel, a sketch book on his desk caught my eye  and I raised an eyebrow. I didn't know he sketched.

I walked over to his desk and took the sketchbook. I opened it and the first page was blank. I flipped to the second page and it was Daisy. Her head was thrown back in laughter as she wore an apron and gloves while holding a tray of cupcakes. It was simply beautiful. Wow, he is good.

I flipped to the next page and it was blank. I opened another one and it was also blank. Is that all? The next page revealed Zoey raising her middle finger with a small smile. She was cuddled up on the couch and her hair was up in a messy bun and it looked like she was wearing pyjamas. Impressed is an understatement.

I flipped open the next page expecting to see a blank page but it was a sketch of Zoey, Eddy and I. Eddy and I were on the couch, each holding a controller and focused on the television. Zoey was holding a bag Doritos giving us the stink eye. I felt a smile grow on my lips. Why didn't he tell anyone? Or even show us?

I flipped open the next page and it was an unfinished sketch of a girl. Her face wasn't completed yet and it was covered in what looked like angry strokes. I couldn't really tell who it was. I opened the next page and it was the same thing. It was covered in the same strokes that shows he wasn't satisfied with what he was drawing it seems.

I hung the towel on his chair and sat down on his bed, enjoying my new discovery. I opened the next page and on it was Alex's side view with her legs folded up to chest and her arms wrapped around them. She was sitting at the shore of a beach, staring at the distance. Her long hair pooled at the end of her back and her feet was buried in the sand. I could almost imagine how his pen artistically outlined every curve.

I opened the next page and it was Alex again. This time, her hands were in the air with her eyes closed like she was dancing. Her feet was bare and the environment looked like a park's.

I opened the next page and at the same time, Zoey entered the room. I quickly closed the book and sat on it, clearing my throat. She raised an eyebrow at me.

"Hey Zozo, What's up girlll?" I said awkwardly. What was that? I did not just say that.

"Ew, don't call me that. What are you up to?" She narrowed her eyes at me. She slowly walked towards me and I felt like sweat roll from my forehead down to my chin.

"It's nothing. Everything is fine" I tried to convince her but it looked like she wasn't buying it.

"You saying that just makes me more suspicious of you, Eli" she eyed me as she stood directly in front of me now with her arms crossed across her chest. "What were you--"

"Zoey, Eli, the doctor just called me now. Alex is awake" Daisy said, strolling into the room with a smile.

The news distracted Zoey who had a bug smile on her face already. "Oh, Thank God. Let's go see her!"no She said, hurrying out of the room.

I heaved out a sigh I didn't know I was holding and watched as Daisy eyed me suspiciously as well. "I hope you're not up to something that will earn you smacks from me" she threatened before leaving and I chuckled.

I brought out the sketchbook and stared at it. He might need this when he wakes up. I told a bag and put some of his clothes, putting the sketchbook in between them. I zipped it up and left the room.

"If you had stayed any longer, we'd have left you" Daisy scolded and I feigned heartbreak as I placed my hand on my chest and pouted.

She smiled at me. "Come on kids" she said and left the house as Zoey and I followed. "Don't worry, Nick is next" she assured and I felt my hope grow.

I really hope he is.

×××××××××××××××××××××
20/05/2022