Chapter SEVENTY-NINE

Alexandrea's P.O.V

Tick..Tock

Tick...Tock

The only sound in the room was from the clock. And maybe the sound of how fast my heart is beating but I was the only one that could hear that, hopefully at least.

Do I want to be just a joke? Ofcourse I do. Pfft! I definitely do! Why wouldn't I want it to be a joke? No reason! So there's no need to even think about it. It should be a joke! I thought as I refused to look away from the ice cream that was slowly melting.

Or should it?

No. I mean yes. Yes! I swallowed my saliva and took a scoop of icecream dipping it in my mouth. Gaining the courage, I looked at him, locking gazes.

"I don't know what you mean. We should quickly finish the icecream so I can head home, it's getting late" I said hurriedly, looking back at the icecream.

"Haha, got you!" He pointed with his spoon at me, laughing awkwardly.

That was not a joke and we both knew that.

"Silly me!" I smiled awkwardly back, looking back at the icecream and shoving a spoon in my mouth. He followed suite.

"So how's your wound and all?" I quickly asked, desperate to dissolve the tension.

"Well, as you can see" she shrugged and gestured with his hands to his body.

"I mean, how do you feel?" I rolled my eyes, slapping his arm lightly.

He pouted. "Bored and sick of seeing the same walls. I want to go out"

My eyes darted to the blanket where his legs hid then back to his face, raising an eyebrow. "Can you do that?" I asked, a hint of doubt in my tone.

"I'm not paralyzed, Alex. I just got shot in the back" He gave me a stare.

"Right. Let me rephrase then" I licked my quickly drying lips and couldn't miss the way his gaze fell on them before refocusing, meeting my gaze. "Are you allowed to do that?" I asked again. He smirked, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "Does it matter? I have a plan"

"Nick" I warned.

"We won't get caught. Stop being a mom" he rolled his eyes.

××××××××××××

"Where are you headed to sir?" A nurse that was walking by stopped as she saw Nick halfway out of his room. I was still inside his room. I froze behind him, my eyes widening.

Shit.

The door wasn't completely open

"Urm. Water" He blurted out and I almost burst out in laughter.

"Water, really?" I muttered quietly behind him, chuckling.

"I'll get that for you. Please get back inside" she said and Nick raised his hands up and shrugged.

"Yes ma'am" He stepped back into his room and closed the door.

I gave him the 'I told you so' look. "We won't get caught" I mimicked him, making a silly face.

He snickered with a small smile and strolled back to his bed. He plopped on it with a heavy sigh. "What do you want to do?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know, what do you want to do?" I said as I strolled to the bed as well, tilting my head to the side.

He didn't answer me. He just watched me come closer to the bed and I suddenly felt like I was going to trip and fall. The bed felt farther away from me and my palms started to feel sweaty. He tilted the corner of his lips upward for a second.

What's going through his head?

After eternity, I plopped down beside him like his intense gaze didn't just make me want to fall on my face a minute ago. "You want to know what I want to do?" He asked.

"Huh?" Then I remembered my question. "Oh, yes, I do"

He looked away from me and ran a hand through his hair then winced. Did his head still hurt? "I just want to hang out you know"

"Well, we can just hang then" I raised my eyebrows.

"That was a lie" He looked back at me.

"What?"

"I lied. I don't just want to hang" He revealed as he rubbed the bridge of his nose.

I don't know what I was expecting or why I voiced out the next statement but I did.

"Do what you want to do then"

He stared at me like he was searching for something. His gaze fell on my lips. I felt like he could hear the rapid beat of my heart as he inched closer. He pressed his lips to mine and my eyes fell shut on instinct.

I felt a rush of adrenaline. It was like I was in a sea of emotions allowing the horizons to pull me deeper.Without thought, I pulled him closer. We were devouring each other as my hands wandered between his hair and neck. It felt like I was finally able to release a breath I didn't know I was holding and now, I don't know whose air I was breathing. I just wanted him. Everywhere.

He pulled back but I kept my eyes closed. My heart was still racing and I felt his gaze like a touch. By the time I opened my eyes, I was met with a raised eyebrow and a knowing smile.

Idiot.

My face fired up and I cleared my throat. Nervously, I glanced at the clock. "Urm
...I should go. It's getting late"

"You said that before" he said, still staring at me.

"Well, I mean it this time" I said and stood up.

He pouted. "But I want to do that again"

Between a tomato and my face, I don't know which one is redder at this point. "Goodnight " I muttered as I rushed out of the room.

As I strolled the hallway, I fanned my face with my hands. Holy shit! What the hell was that? What has gotten into me?

Incase you're wondering, yes, my heart is still not over it.

I stopped as I stepped out of the hospital, smiling to myself. Why was I smiling? I don't know if it was because of the kiss or the weather.

I halted a cab and got in as I made my way home. I got home and paid the driver.

"Here's your change ma'am" he stretched his hand out.

"You can keep it" I giggled and got out of the cab, ignoring the confused look on the man's face.

I searched my bag for my keys and grinned when I found it. Opening the door, I strolled in, humming and found my mom sitting on the couch in the parlour.

I went over and pecked her cheeks. "Hello, Mother"

"Hello, daughter" she raised an eyebrow as she smiled at me. "What has got you in such a good mood?"

"Oh, nothing. Just the weather, it's nice" I grinned as I picked one of the cookies on her plate before dancing my way up the stairs.

Yes, definitely the weather.

×××××××××××××××
28/12/2022