Chapter SEVENTY-SEVEN

Alexandrea's P.O.V

I sighed as I tossed and turned for the thousandth time trying to sleep. It was two in the midnight and even if I didn't have much to do by dawn or the rest of the day, a decent sleep would be appreciated.

"Shit" I cursed, sitting up. Maybe water would help. I stood up an tiptoed down the stairs hoping not to wake my mom up.

Opening the fridge, I grab a bottle of water and twist the cap. I tilted my head backwards and took two large gulps before dropping the bottle on the kitchen slab.

I randomly remember my short lived conversation with Nick at the hospital yesterday.

"I don't think you'd take a bullet for someone you don't like" There was a long pause after. Eli's ringtone broke the silence and he left the room to take the call.

We were alone and that made my palms even more sweaty.

"Well, that is what any gentleman would do" he replied eventually.

I chuckled. "I don't think Nick and Gentleman belong in the same sentence"

"Yeah yeah whatever" He rolled his eyes as I laughed. "I've not recovered yet, you know. You shouldn't be mean to me" he pouted.

Instinctively, I poked his forehead "Since when did. speaking facts become being mean?" I raised an eyebrow while he watched me in amusement.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Not really. School is on hold for now" I answered and he nodded.

"Right" he clicked his tongue. "So...are you okay? You know after the whole Axel stuff?" he watched me closely.

I snorted in disbelief. "I'm not the one on the bed, with wires connected to my body. I should be asking you that, idiot"

He chuckled rolling his eyes "I'm alright. As you can see"

"I'm happy you are. Everyone was so scared. Zoey wouldn't stop crying and Daisy couldn't sleep-"

"And you?"he interrupted.

"I kept blaming myself. I'm the one with the fucked up family and I got all of you involved in my mess. I shouldn't have and-"

"I'm talking about the sleep. Were you able to sleep without the nightmares?" He asked and a warm feeling spread in my stomach as my cheeks warmed up in embarrassment.

"Oh" I chuckled nervously. "No. I still get them" I answered and his lips formed a thin line.

"Axel is with the police right?" He asked and I deflated.

"No. They're still looking for him" I answered and Nick frowned. "But I'm safe. I hope. The police is protecting us"

"Right"

"Does it hurt?" I ask as my eyes darted to the bandage peeking from under his hospital gown.

"Like a bitch" he admitted. "But it was worth it"  he added. I stared at him again unintentionally. There were few cuts on his face- a tiny one before his ear, one on his chapped bottom lip and another by the jaw. A bandage is wrapped around his head but strands of his hair allow only half of it's width in view. He looked slightly flushed and his pupils are slightly darker.

I wonder what he's thinking about. "Don't ever do that again" I blinked. What?

"Do what?" I asked, completely lost.

"Were you even listening?" He raised an eyebrow as I let out a guilty pout.

"I got distracted" I defended but he only stares at me like I have no point. I rolled my eyes at him " Just repeat what you said"

"I said don't ever scare me like that again" he repeated and I searched for a playful glint in his eyes but I was left with a watchful glare.

Before I could think of a witty response, my phone rang and it was my mom. Shit, I wasn't done arranging my room and clothes.

"I've got to go" I stood up. "I left some chores unfinished before I came here"

"You actually rushed here. You were that excited to me, huh?"he smirked cockily and I scoffed.

"You wish" I started to walk to towards the door. "Later"

"Later" he answered.

I blinked as I returned the bottle of water which was now half filled, in the fridge. Should I visit him at the hospital again today?

No.

Yes? I mean, it wouldn't look weird or anything right?

It definitely will.

Or will it? Ugh! Let's see how the day goes. I tiptoed back up the stairs after the little argument with myself. I entered my room and closed the door behind me, burying myself under the thick patterned blanket that was hanging off the bed only a minute ago.

I was not sleepy. Not even one bit. I guess I got used to sleeping in the day and staying up at night because of the never-ending nightmares. I stood up from my bed again taking my blanket with me as I exited the room, heading to my mom's.

With two soft consecutive knocks on her room door, she pulled it open looking tired. "Alex? What's wrong honey?" She asked, taking my hand as she led me into the room and closing the door.

"I can't sleep" I sighed as I plopped down on the edge of her bed. She sat beside me with her hand on my back.

"Why? Is it the nightmares?" She asked and I shook my head.

"I'm nowhere near sleepy" I answered and she sighed.

She climbed her bed and patted the space beside her. "Like old times?" She asked. I couldn't see her face because the lights were off but I knew she was smiling. Crawling over her duvet and getting under it beside her, I snuggled into the warmth of the bed.

"I miss when you were younger" she muttered as she placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Me too. Everything was so normal and I was just a girl with a loving family" I said groggily, feeling tiredness seep in.

"You're still a girl with a loving family" she said. "You're a strong girl who went through all these without loosing yourself. You were able to survive and make it this far and I'm proud of you for that" she added after a short pause.

My eyes dropped close. "And you're a strong woman who made it possible for me to survive" I said, my voice fading into a whisper.

"Goodnight, I love you" I heard her faintly before I was plunged into the darkness. A different type of darkness, the one that soothes and calms you. And for the first time in a very long time, I wasn't scared. Maybe it's all gone. For good.

××××××××××××××
05/10/2022