.05

Evelyn.

Bonding with people has never been my forte.

I never liked the whole hanging out with people at someone's house and getting close to them to tell them aspects of your life. Telling them your past, your hobbies- it's all far too personal for me. In every sense.

Maybe it's because I'm FBI and paranoid, but revealing personal information to people is not my thing. Especially coworkers.

The quality of our relationships has a massive impact on our levels of happiness and well-being. That is something I know to be true and well.

Regretfully, I also know that nurturing our relationships requires time, attention, and effort.

It's all too easy to become sidetracked and complacent, and to stop appreciating and truly connecting with those closest to us. Often, we feel we are simply too busy to focus on how we can improve the situation. Life seems to get in the way.

It gets tiresome, annoying to be around others.

Yet, we make exceptions for the people we care about. We handle things we wouldn't normally, for the sake of the ones we love.

Hailey is pretty damn lucky that I care about her a lot.

Which brings us to here.

"I would totally win in an arm-wrestling match," She screamed, pushing Ashton out of his seat. He scrambled in the air, trying to get hold of his position but failing miserably.

I tensed as he fell to the wooden floor of my apartment, cringing at the sound. His back smacked the ground heavily, pounding and echoing underneath my feet.

"This is why you never come here, Irwin," I groaned with slight irritation. With that, I shifted, getting out of my seat and walking to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of wine.

If I was going to hang out with people, I might as well take the edge off a little.

Hailey's voice came from the living room, slightly far from me, "What kind of job do you two have that means you can't refer to each other by name? Even outside of work?"

I walked into the living room once more, slightly uncomfortable at the question asked, "I told you. Government work."

Kate ruffled his hair as he leaned towards me on the couch. They all came together- like a package.

More like the three stooges.

I was interrupted by Kate's voice, "That's so vague."

"I like to keep my work life out of my personal life, and vice versa," I shrugged.

I wish I could keep them even more separated, more distinct from one another but- here we all are.

"Not very separated are they," Hailey laughed, repeating the thoughts rambling through my head. I cocked my head towards her, acknowledging the truth to the point she made, though with slight annoyance.

"Yeah you're not too good at that are you?" Ashton mocked, finally slipping a win.

With that statement, I glared at Hailey pointedly, "Well I tried. And then you started dating my colleague."

She laughed, resting her head on his shoulder. Her fingers danced on his chest, "You brought him to my coffee place."

With that, Hailey tilted her head towards him, smiling against his lips and pressing a soft kiss to them. She shifted herself onto his lap more, closing any gap there was beforehand.