.50

For the first time ever...

Luke.

I knocked softly on Evelyn's door, waiting for an answer. When there was none, I undid all of the heavy duty locks and slid it open.

There she lay, on the couch fast asleep.

I sighed, walking over to her and sitting down on the table across from her head.

Leaning over, my hand found her hair, softly running through it.

Her face was soft, warm and peaceful. Her normally furrowed eyebrows were relaxed, not a single wrinkle on her perfectly aging face.

So relaxed.

That's the first time I've seen her like that in, forever.

"What do I do with you?" I sighed, scanning over her face and pressing a slow kiss to her forehead.

If she was any other person, they would be dead before they could even utter my name.

But Evelyn is not some random person in my life.

She is my life.

A knock on the open door turned my attention.

"Luke?" Ashton leaned in, "We got a situation."

I sighed, standing up and leaving the room. I locked the door after me and continued down the hall, walking beside Ashton.

We made our way to the com's room, the screens filling the room and surrounding the two chairs in the middle.

"Harry and Michael are in a conference right now," Ashton handed me a pair of headphones and moved a chair for me to sit.

Ashton being so advanced technologically made him a true asset.

Not to mention that he's my best friend.

He began to code the encryption of their phones, making it past the FBI firewalls and easily implanting itself onto Michael's phone.

Harry's would be too protected.

We sat quietly, as I listened in on the conversation, the wavelengths on the screen in front of me.

"Is anyone suspicious of us yet?" Michael's muffled voice murmured as we listened carefully.

"None more than the usual," Harry replied, "Not so much as a missing person's report is being filed on any of them."

"Perfect," There was a shifting of paper, "I would like to perform these following tests. I think we have enough subjects for this to work properly."

There was a moment of silence as what I presumed Harry was reading over the list Michael had just given him.

"Bubonic plague?" Harry questioned, "Didn't know that still existed."

"Not that anyone is aware of."

They began to laugh amongst each other before continuing over the list.

"I like the touch you added with HIV. I'm sure those will provide promising results. Good work Michael."

"Thank you sir."

Frustratedly, I threw down the headphones and rubbed the soreness developing between my eyes.

"That's at least 5,000 people now Ash," I looked down at our missing persons lists.

Every single person made to disappear.

"I don't know how much longer they can get away with this," Ashton turned his head over to me.

"As long as nobody stops them."