.17

Evelyn.

"Agent Irwin," I gritted my teeth, gripping him by his tie as he laughed, "I will kick your ass right here, right now." 

The boy laughed, tilting his head back before wrapping his arms around me despite my resistance. I tried to push out of his grasp, succeeding quickly.

"You threaten me so much- I'm starting to think you love me," Ashton smiled widely as I rolled my eyes and pulled myself away from the boy, deciding not to engage.

Calum exited his office, leaning against the door in a way that made us aware of his presence. He beckoned me with his hand as I quickly walked over to him.

"Chief Hood," I nodded my head at him as he smiled lightly, though I've never seen his smile grow any bigger.

"That girl you sent to me," He spoke well my memory recalled that assistant that I sent over here to become a detective a few days ago.

I nodded quietly, waiting for him to finish his sentence, "She is the best profiler I've ever seen. She went to Harvard for her degree."

My eyes brightened with the idea, satisfaction flooding through me as I knew the opportunity given would not be wasted.

He shifted his hands into his pockets, "I don't get why she's been an assistant this entire time. The local PD could have used her."

I raised my eyebrows, "I think we both know why she wasn't moved up, Chief Hood."

Calum nodded thoughtfully, contemplating the words I had just said.

It really is not easy being a woman in this field.

He excused himself, turning back around and closing his office door once again.

I smiled to myself, turning around and walking forward, my eyes on the floor with giddy flooding through me.

What I should have done was looked up.

I could have avoided running right into Luke.

Again.

Despite myself, I slipped backward a little bit, grabbing onto his shoulders to steady myself quickly. Luke's hands found their way to my hips almost immediately, the touch burning me right through my suit top and pants.

He chuckled, a rich sound that filled my ears as he spoke, "We have to stop meeting like this."

I tried to summon words to speak but ultimately failed, my lips parting as I could not break eye contact with him.

His bemused and vivid blue eyes entranced me, trapping me in a mental hold that I could not get out of. They were heavenly, in a way I could not begin to explain.

Finally, I removed myself from his shoulders. He lifted his hands lightly off my hips, brushing up to my ribs before pulling them away completely.

"I-Uh yeah," I swallowed and ducked my head, turning around and walking straight to my office.

I couldn't help but think about how weird things were between me and Luke. It shifted in a way that I do not have the words for.

I found myself dry-mouthed every time he looked at me, his eyes always roaming over my body like he couldn't help himself. Not to say I was in control of myself at all times- I was just far better at hiding it.

With that, I entered my office, staring at the seat where I was meant to be. I placed my hands on the front of the desk, leaning over it as I closed my eyes and tried desperately to clear my head from him.