.40

Evelyn.

"Okay. I figured out what to do." Ashton paced back and forth in my office. I sighed, shifting my feet up on my desk as he continued to nervously ramble. Luke sat beside me, lazily signing documents and doing some in-office work.

"We set up the whole proposal at Eve's place and-"

"Still Evelyn," I interrupted, slightly irritated by the nickname he was so used to using.

"Do not even do this right now!" Ashton groaned.

Luke reached over to pat my thigh, trying to signal me to calm down with the aggressive behavior.

I slightly groaned, biting down on my lip and silencing myself, despite my urge to retort every few seconds with some sarcastic remark.

"Go ahead Ash, I apologize," I attempted to sweetly reply.

Ashton nodded to himself, sitting in front of us, "I'll get Kate to keep her later at work. We can set up at your apartment and then invite her over just to hang out."

"We're not teenagers, nobody hangs out anymore."

He paused for a moment, turning to give me a very distressed look. Warning, as if ready to explode.

I raised my hands in defense, "Alright alright. We'll do it. Come over whenever you want, I'll be home all night."

"Okay I'll bring everything. I need to go to the FedEx first and get my printed copies of the photos," He muttered to himself, "Make sure they are laminated. Go to the flower store, get roses and balloons."

Ashton thanked me, spinning around and nearly running out to go prepare the things he needs. With that, I heard his rapid footsteps down the hall.

I laughed, turning to Luke.

"Shit!" I heard the crashing, someone falling in the hall and Ashton's loud voice. I held back a giggle, despite the nature of the ordeal.

Luke's manner caught my attention, exhausted. His eyes were heavy, almost tired and full of thoughts.

"You alright Luke?"

He dazedly glanced over to me with a soft smile, confirming my assessment of him, "Exhausted."

I shifted my chair and moved closer to him, feeling his warmth closer to my body, "Didn't sleep well last night?"

Luke shook his head, "I slept well."

A lie between his teeth, for his eyebags were darker today than ever before. He rested his head against my shoulder, his hair tickling my face.

"I know when you lie babe," I jokingly teased, resting my hand on his lap. He ran his thumb over the outside of my hand, tingling presence across it.

"Okay," He sighed dramatically, "You snore. I had to tell you and I'm sorry it had to be this way."

I curled my hand into a fist and smacked his thigh, him groaning and rubbing the sore spot.

"Tell me what's really bothering you Luke."

He was hesitant, quiet for a moment before finally speaking, "I don't know. Too much is on my mind. Bad dreams."

"About?" I gently pushed, hoping to make him break out of his shell. He's done it to me, I'm sure I can do it to him.

"Just," He repeated himself, "Just the thought of losing you."

I bit my lip.

"I don't know. I've been doing this job for years. And so have you," He sat up more, turning to look at me, "I think we've all accepted that every day in this place is a chance we die. But I've never actually paused and thought what that would mean."