.14

Evelyn.

Distractions. 

In this world, they seem nearly impossible to avoid. The world is in absolute chaos. Technology has grown to a point that we no longer can avoid it. Everything is accessible, right at our fingertips.

And yet, it wasn't technology that was enveloping my mind.

It was Luke.

I bit my lip, smoothening my suit. I decided on a black suit, a light blue button-up underneath. The pants fit me a little more tightly than the other ones, but it flattered me, in my opinion.

Yesterday ended off on a good, but strange note. Luke got dressed after his shower, sipped on some coffee, watched a little Netflix, and then went home.

The time we spent was not awkward. It was silent a lot of the time, mostly for the fact that we were watching a movie and he left me speechless a lot.

But it was a good silence.

It felt as if something shifted between us. A barrier broke- one that I have kept up for years with practically everyone.

Driving a short way into the office, I stepped up to the elevator.

My eyes dropped to my phone absentmindedly, scrolling through my emails.

Before the door closed, a hand shot in between the doors. I looked up.

The large hand belonged to Ashton, his body framed in a suit. Next to him was the man of the hour. Luke.

I swallowed.

"Hey, Fitzgerald!" Ashton stepped inside, Luke following shortly after while he patted my back. Immediately, I pushed Ashton's hand off of my arm.

"Hi," My word was light, directed at Ashton but my eyes on Luke.

"What a coincidence!" Ashton smirked, nudging Luke's shoulder.

I turned my head around, peering over at him in confusion. My eyes flitted between him and Luke, who was scratching the back of his neck, red flushing his skin.

My words came out more accusing than I intended them to be, "Why is that a coincidence?"

"Oh well, we were just ta-"

Luke elbowed Ashton in the stomach, the man doubling over with a groan leaving his mouth. Luke stood straight in satisfaction, a glint in his eyes.

Like I said.

Strange.

Luke and Ashton began to mumble with themselves, light arguing flying between them. I rolled my eyes and tapped my heel, waiting for it to open.

I exited it without much side thought, leaving them and marched over to Calum's office. I stood at the door for a moment, entering. He sat already in his office.

"Good morning Fitzgerald."

I nodded, "Chief Hood."

"What can I do for you?"

I reached over to his desk, my hands crossed behind my back, "Do you have the paperwork for questioning our suspects at the village infiltration?"

He nodded, handing me a file, "Two of the men from the van are still in the hospital."

I nodded, looking back up to him as he continued the rest of the update.