.21

Evelyn.

Saved by the bell. 

That metaphor is so misused. People use it as making it to class just in time, barely getting in before the school bell rings, and attendance is marked.

In actuality, being 'saved by the bell' originated as an expression that relates to people being buried alive.

People were being buried alive, by mistake, back when there were fewer medical advancements in the world. A person's pulse would be so low that it would be undetected by the human touch.

When people who observed the morgues found graves being clawed at, from the inside, they knew something had to be changed.

So, they added a bell.

The idea was that, if someone were comatose and mistakenly pronounced dead and interred, they could, if they later revived, ring a bell that was attached to the coffin and be saved.

When Luke's phone rang off an emergency down at the bureau last night, it felt a lot like being saved from death.

I was saved before our kiss could go any further.

He almost ignored it, but we both knew that calls like these, so late at night, were not ones to be ignored.

Thankfully, I wasn't called with him, leaving me free at home- to think.

To think about his lips on mine.

But more specifically, what was going to happen when I returned to work this morning.

It was completely a mistake, it had to be.

There was no way we could keep a romantic relationship and a professional one.

I bit my lip, fixing my appearance in the mirror.

I decided to opt-out of the usual suit jacket. Instead, a sweater vest caught my eyes. It was light blue, a cross pattern of slightly darker blues and white.

I wore it over a white button-up shirt, loosely folding the sleeves loosely. Deciding to pair them with light suit pants as well, I checked myself in the mirror.

this is what i had in mind

I lifted my bag, fixing it on my shoulder, and exiting my apartment. By coincidence, so was Michael.

"Hey!" He waved, reaching over to give me a hug. I smiled, locking my apartment while wrapping an arm around him.

Michael began to walk next to me as I pulled out my shades.

"Sunglasses indoors? You must be pretty important," He teased as I rolled my eyes playfully, shoving him.

The elevator was already there, easy for us to just get on without wait.