.53

lord. save me from this gif.

Luke

Luke.

I grabbed the keys from my side, knocking on the door once before turning it into the keyhole and opening it.

"You ready?" I asked Evelyn, leaning on the side of the doorframe. She sat there in her place, hands between her knees. A soft look was written over her face, though I knew if she turned to look at me, it would go cold.

Eve nodded, grabbing the small backpack next to her and stood up, keeping her eyes averted to the floor.

It feels like after we had sex, something in her broke.

"Are you going to stay put or do I need to put handcuffs on you?" I turned to her firmly, walking beside her with a hand on her back.

"No," Eve meekly murmured.

"Okay," I hummed to myself. I led her around the building and back up the stairs, to the car.

There stood her dad, leaning against the car with his wrinkled hands and tired eyes. Though he tried to hide it from me, it was clear that he was excited to be home. Away from me.

And spend a day long car drive with his daughter.

When Eve noticed him, her pace slowed down. She knew that we were taking him back to her mom, but it didn't seem to connect in her head that she would have to actually see him.

"Hi honey," He smiled at her softly.

She glanced up at me, stepping a little more into me.

Despite hating me, she still felt safer with me than with him. Makes sense, I suppose.

"Do you want to sit up with me?" I murmured lowly, "Or in the back."

"Up," She whispered, moving to the passenger door and opening it.

Evelyn carefully slipped in, setting her backpack down on the front next to her feet.

Her dad moved down into the back, opening the door and sitting down as well.

This is going to be a long drive.

I sat in the driver's seat, turning the radio slightly and letting the low music play on the radio.

It was some song called 'Ever Since New York.'

I cursed to myself, the words reminding me so much of the girl sitting beside me. The blasphemous argument we were currently in felt like it would last forever, like a pin to the side constantly jutting against my heart.

"So Eve," Her father cleared his throat, "How was college."

She looked straight ahead, blank on her face. I was sure she wouldn't answer until she replied, "Great. Summa Cum Laude of my class."