.55

Evelyn

I don't know what to do.

Returning to the underground facility had made me confused, disoriented.

My face had taken on a pale look, as if I had been painted with white-wash - even my lips were barely there.

It caught Luke's attention— clearly, judging by the way he was holding onto me and glancing at me every so often.

It was weird to slowly trust him again, even though I didn't feel like he deserved it. He had betrayed me over and over again, but he did it in the name of the people. In the name of protecting the citizens of the country.

I guess it was something I could understand.

When we had reached down to where my room was, I sighed, knowing I was going to be put back in a locked room. The memories of Niall watching over me like a hawk made me nauseous almost instantly.

So I was surprised when we continued walking past it, turning a corner and making his way down to a different place.

Every time we passed by someone, my eyes scanned their face for recognition. Criminals, random FBI members, people I had arrested even.

My stomach bubbled with a weird feeling, anxiety creeping up in my body. He had been working alongside the people I arrested.

One of them recognized me, it seemed like, because he started to walk towards me. His eyes were stiff, devoid of emotion as his large arms swung by his sides.

Luke stepped in front of me, between the man and I. Having seen Luke, the scary criminal nodded his head, stepping away and continuing on his way. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

After a couple of turns, we reached a larger room, one that was completely blacked out from the outside. It had no sort of label or descriptors, leaving a nerve to shoot down my neck in slight unease.

"What is this?"

Luke did not respond. Instead, he pushed open the door, holding it for me to walk in. He shut the door behind me, locking it.

I bit my lip, a little unnerved at the action. Perhaps he was doing it to protect me, or perhaps it was to hurt me. Though the chance of him actually beating me in a fight seemed unrealistic to me.

I smiled to myself a little before returning to the serious situation at hand.

I walked in, smelling a mixture of two very distinct smells, shoe polish, and cologne. Lit by only the glow of a small, unshaded lamp found on an oak writing desk in the corner, there were no windows, making the room quite dim, but once my eyes adjusted, it was a comforting dimness.

Luke's body stood tall, his face shadowed by the low light. I diverted my eyes from him, turning back to scan over the room.

Although most of the room was organized with precision, the desk was quite unkempt. The papers that Luke had been working on were scattered here and there in a disorderly fashion as if he had come and gone hurriedly in order to find an important document. A black ball point pen sat underneath and overturned folder on the left hand side of the desk.

The rest or the writing utensils were located in a pen cup on the opposite side of the plant and the lamp. Almost unnoticeable amongst the ruckus on the desk, a small portable laptop sat folded under the papers, connected by tangled cords to a wall outlet and a color scanner.

The last thing that was located in the room was a small safe that was securely attached within the wall behind the desk.

It was only about two foot long by two foot wide. I couldn't determine the depth, clear that it was unknown by all but Luke.