.37

Evelyn.

I sighed, typing into the system a name in an attempt to find a match.

DA Tomlinson wanted me to run a name, hoping that he would have enough priors in the system to get a warrant.

Making his case, and all that.

An average day in the job of a Chief.

"So," A knock and an all familiar voice caught my attention. I looked up, Calum in my view. His black suit covered his body, his hand leaned up against the frame of the door.

"Chief Hood," I stood up and took off my reading glasses, pausing my work to step towards him.

He smiled, stepping forward to shake my hand. I took it, firmly shaking it.

Calum looked around the office, "How's the new job?"

"I am a young, beautiful bundle of positivity. I love life and everything in it," I sarcastically retorted, his eyebrows raising.

"Too much work huh," He couldn't help but let a chuckle slip past his lips, "I get that."

Calum rubbed my shoulder, his warm eyes peering into mine.

"You know, truth be told," He stepped into the office more and sat at a random chair, "I always expected you here."

"Really?"

I sat across him as he nodded, crossing his legs, "Oh sure. I'm glad you got here as fast as you did."

Politely, I smiled once more. Though, I was itching to speak.

"I never expected this to be so.."

Calum laughed, finishing my sentence for me, "Weary?"

I sighed with a nod, "It's my dream. This job, but I didn't realize how much work it was."

He leaned forward on his knees, staring into my eyes, "It gets better."

I nodded to myself. I don't hate this work. Completely opposite of it- of course. I just don't like being so tied down to a desk. I'd much rather be constantly in the field, not only called in when it's serious.

But like Calum said.

It gets better.

——

"Michael Clifford! Get over here!" I scrambled after the boy, nearly jumping over the kitchen counter and yanking at his shoulder. He swerved around my grip, continuing to take flashing pictures of me with his camera.

He was attempting to get a photo of me smiling.

Super annoying.

But what was even more annoying was the irritating bright light that kept snapping in my eyes as he tried to trick me into laughing.

"How did you jump over that counter! What are you? A kangaroo?" Michael asked bewildered. Of course, he was not aware of my FBI status. Hailey swore that she will be quiet amidst the whole situation, until I found a way to tell Michael.

So kind of her. Major eyeroll.

Luke laughed from his seated position next to Ashton, cheering Michael on.

I whipped my head around, my hair disheveled and a mess as I glared at Luke with a crazed look in my eyes, "You're my boyfriend! Help me!"

He shook his head, egging on Michael to take more pictures of me. He dashed around the couch, hiding behind Ashton as he continued to flash photos.