.42

Evelyn.

Emotional overwhelm occurs when the intensity of your feelings outmatches your ability to manage them.

That was exactly how I felt. But even worse than that, I felt nothing.

I was numb again.

And it was like my dad died, all over again.

I cared about Michael, so so much.

So when I insisted I would ride in the ambulance with him, the paramedics did not stop me.

I caught them just in time, jumping off the ground and running down to the stairs. I jumped at least six of them, sticking the landing and rushing down.

"Eve where are you going!"

"Meet me at the hospital Luke!" I did not stop my stride, continuing out and yanking the ambulance doors open.

"Ma'am you can't be here-"

"I'm FBI," I showed my badge, running over to Michael and grabbing his hands, "You're going to fucking let me ride along".

In his comatose state, his eyes still widened slightly at the words.

"FBI?"

"We'll talk about that later. Right now I need you to breathe and stay awake," I instructed.

The drive to the hospital was far longer than I wanted it to be, though I suppose it couldn't have been any faster with an ambulance.

Then, Michael began crashing.

"V-Fib!" I screamed, jumping onto the gurney over Michael and beginning to pump his chest. My legs straddled over his hips, high and leaning over him.

The ambulance screeched to a halt with the doors opening wide, signaling our arrival at the hospital.

The paramedic next to me got out the defibrillator, "Don't you think we should do this?"

The gurney shook as it was pulled out of the ambulance and on the ground.

"I'm gonna do this. It's my fault he's like this," I rubbed the metal pads together and pressed it onto Michael's chest.

His whole body shocked up before his heart rate returned, though low pulse.

It was in this moment I was glad for my medical training.

The cot was pushed into the hospital, dragged down the metal halls.

"There's an OR open! We have to go now!"

I jumped off of the gurney, running by his side and pressing a kiss to his hand.

Michael's eyes pulled shut.

I slowed my pace, now realized just how out of breath I was.

The sight around me clouded, and I felt myself began to lose consciousness.

I passed out.

——

The sound of a steady beeping lulled me awake. The room was silent apart from my heavy breathing and the beep sound, one that indicates you're alive.

I slowly opened my eyes, squinting in an attempt to make sense of what was around me.

Trying to sharpen the blurred images before me.

Little particles of dust floated around in the sunlight as I slouched back in the uncomfortable bed.

I stared at a bowl of peaches, each one swimming in it's own puddle of syrup. Untouched and disgusting.