.46

Evelyn.

I need to train.

For the sake of my sanity. And for not dwelling on the previous events.

No matter how hard I've tried, I just cannot get out of my head the image of the man biting into cyanide and collapsing off the roof to his death.

Luckily, the FBI has a training center near the Pentagon.

Makes perfect sense.

"Again," I smacked my gloves against each other, lifting them up to cover my face as I sprawled into a fighting stance.

"Eve," Luke sighed, his hands falling to his sides, "We've been going for hours."

I bounced like my limbs don't really belong to me and each step was a negotiation rather than an order.

Everything hurts now.

Every damn thing.

But I don't feel it at all.

"Come here babe. You can take me for a bit," Ashton called from the ring next to ours.

I bend against the will of my joints under the ropes and up into Ashton's ring.

He smiled, clearly more energy than Luke.

Then again, Ashton wasn't training against me for three hours.

I stepped back, propping my arms up and loosening up my body, though all my muscles seared with pain.

We tested each other, jabs and blocks. Ashton faked and landed a good blow on my ribs, the glove connecting harshly as I let out a harsh breath.

My follow-up, a hook to his jaw, caught air as Ashton astutely pulled his head back. A stupid mistake, I smirked, as I took the opportunity to swing my back foot around to kick his jaw.

It made contact, but not enough to knock him out. He slid out of the way, turning a steep hook into my jaw.

I groaned, teetering backwards.

I eased my eyes cautiously open, and I see my Ashton's sweat as steam, condensing quickly in the cold boxing air.

Blood trickled down his face from the cut on his jaw I gave him.

I must have opened it further. He thrusted a veined, enormous arm directly at my face, and I was too tired to react in time.

It connected and I feel--nothing.

From there, Ashton stepped toward me again, advancing with a smack.

"Maybe you should back off Ash," Luke stepped up to the side of the ring.

Ashton ignored him, hooking me again. I stumbled backward and fell back against the ring ropes, my head jolted back harshly as he pounded hits into my head.

"Ashton enough!" Luke shouted louder.

"Come on Eve!" Ashton murmured, "Fight back."