.32

Evelyn.

The mysterious man led me further into the center of the ballroom, my eyes trying to connect with Luke's.

He nodded from afar, reassuring me that he was nearby if I needed him. I hated that I had to leave- hated that I had to separate from Luke.

But this was a smart, calculated move. No other person would go out of their way to approach us, unless they were affiliated with Patrick Mendoza.

More so if this guy was actually him.

As I followed the man, I peered around the large venue. The room dizzied me, the high ceiling spinning in a way that made me pause.

I turned back to the guy, apprehensive. His large hand wrapped around my waist, replacing Luke's only moments ago. His blue eyes shined, glinting as his lips curled into a smirk.

Uneasy, I distanced myself slightly, though I had not much room to do so.

"You are something of a wonder in our world, Agent Fitzgerald," The man spoke, the words freezing to the back of my neck, "Or is it Cheif Fitzgerald?"

Fear paralyzed me, the blond man with deep brown roots smiling wider at the suffering of my posture. His hand ran over my back, making contact with the satin, black material.

It was impossible for him to know, impossible for him to know my name.

We signed up with other names, with different positions. There was just no way for him to have known who I am.

Except, the recent news of my promotion to Cheif.

And the fact that reporters had surrounded me entirely- just this morning.

I nearly slapped myself right then and there, groaning at the fact that I was now exposed. It did not help that Mendoza was just always ahead of us, probably keeping tabs on the whole FBI.

He must have noticed, for his smile curled into a smirk, "You didn't think that you could fool Mendoza, did you Evelyn?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, finally mustering the words, "You're not Mendoza?"

The man tilted his head back in light laughter, taking my hand and spinning me around gently. I played by his game, my steps meeting his, "Of course not."

"Then who are you?"

He bit his lip, eyes glinting as he pulled me even closer to him. My chest pressed to his, my breath shallow as the man sickeningly murmured into my ear, "It's not that easy, princess."

The man pulled back slightly, his hand reaching up to touch my face. I turned it away, gritting my teeth in anger. He smirked once again, giving me a piece of information that I did not expect him to do.

"Niall," He answered, "But that's all you'll get out of me."

Niall then took my hand in his. I froze in place, trying to turn away.

He tutted, biting his lip in sinister teasing, pressing my hand flush against his chest. I raised my eyebrows, my lips parting in sheer confusion and also nervousness.