.27

Evelyn.

I hate dates. Why do dates exist? I don't even want to go on a date.

Is this considered a date? It's just dinner, right?

After work, Luke and I headed to our respective homes, showering and changing for dinner. After much deliberation, I caved and decided on a dress.

It was a short, black dress with a V-neck, flowing loosely down to my thighs.

I let my hair down as well, fixing it on my shoulders anxiously. Staring at myself for forever in the mirror, I finally gave up and hoped it would be fine.

When Luke came to pick me up, I was nearly drooling at his outfit. He bore a leather jacket, a dark shirt underneath with black jeans and a belt.

It was, though he could never make me admit it, very hot.

He did not ask me if I wanted to go anywhere particular, merely driving us to a restaurant. I appreciated that- I don't like to go eat out much, so I trusted that he knew more than I did about food.

Luke held the car door open for me, the restaurant door open, and even took my coat at the booth.

What a simp.

I rolled my eyes, though hiding a smile. He sat across from me, scouring the menu with his eyes. I watched him swipe his tongue against his bottom lip in concentration, my mind falling somewhere else.

Luke looked up, his eyes trained to mine as if catching my stare.

I looked away.

He smirked, "Don't be shy darling, I stare at you all the time."

Personally, I never liked the endearment darling. It was much too soft for me, something that made me sick to my stomach.

Still, I couldn't get over the way he said darling. How easily it rolled off his tongue.

I liked it from him.

"So," He cleared his throat, "Have you picked from the menu?"

I scrambled to pick something, not quite having settled down on something. Luke let out a laugh, putting his hand down on the menu in front of me and gesturing to a waiter.

"I'll order for you," Luke smiled, turning to the waiter and pointing at something on the menu without saying a word.

I stared blankly at him as the waiter left, turning his attention back to me.

"What did you get me?" I suspiciously narrowed my eyes. He raised his eyebrows playfully, refusing to answer me.

I groaned, "If you got me some fancy-ass food or a salad, I'll end your life."

He chuckled, running his hand down his chest and letting it fall into his lap.

It wasn't long before the food arrived.

My mouth watered-there was a burger. With fries.

I nearly groaned, grabbing the burger with my hands and taking a large bite out of it, "I love you."

He smiled proudly, a teasing smirk growing on his face, "Isn't it a little early for I love yous?"

Unwavering, I glanced up at him with a stare. I mumbled behind the mouthful, "I was talking to the burger."

Luke laughed, biting into his burger.

——

He drove me back to my apartment, his hand perched on my knee lightly on the drive home.