.38

Evelyn.

Sometimes this job hurts.

Not in the sense of breaking your back, bullet wounds-kind-of-hurt.

But searching for young girls that never get found again, young boys being assaulted by their coaches and not getting justice-kind-of-hurt.

But today, today was a different kind of hurt.

I stepped out of the office, running down to my car as a swarm of SWAT followed us.

There was a call, directly to my office from President Styles. Some sort of kidnapping/hostage situation on the top of the roof.

"Eve! Wait!" I turned around for a moment to see a vest in his hands.

I bit my groan back, taking it from him willingly this time and slipping it on quickly.

I turned back to my squad car, jumping in and pressing hard on the gas. Luke followed in his car as I analyzed the case in my head, repeatedly.

A man is holding a woman hostage, 4 other ones down in his apartment room.

What's even more alarming is that all of the girls identified have been reported missing.

I thought to myself on the drive, the speedy way over.

The woman being held up on the roof was identified to be Amelia McCarthy.

A progression sketch was IDed from a witness, proving it to be her. That is harrowing, traumatizing in every sense of the word.

"She was only eight when she was taken," I mumbled to myself, racking my brain about the amount of time wasted.

This girl was now 16- 8 years of her missing. 8 years of law enforcement failing.

All 4 other girls on the inside apartment that were now successfully rescuers by our law enforcement- also kidnapped 3-5 years ago.

This is what I'm talking about. The pain of the job.

We reached the building where they were being held hostage. I glanced to the side, my eyes catching a large blow up mattress being placed under the edge of the building. I peered up to see the shape of two people struggling on the roof.

I have to get up there fast.

I jolted up to the stairs, running as fast as I could. Some people were hovering in the building, something that truly pissed me off- the first team on site should have cleared this whole apartment complex already.

"FBI! Out of the way!" I shouted, the clatter of my feet against the metal of the stairs. I heard my colleagues right behind me, Luke not more than a few inches behind.

The large metal door stood in front of me- I opened it wide.

"Evelyn wait!" Luke pulled me, back, trying not to let me go.

I turned around, touching his face for a moment, "You got me?"

He stared into my eyes, his face softening at my words. Luke nodded, "I got you."

"Nobody but me and Agent Hemmings on that roof!" I shouted, trying to give him more comfort. I shifted out of his grip, stepping onto the roof.