.44

Evelyn.

"I'm sorry H. But we really have to go," I gently hugged her, though my eyes were secretly rolling back so far that I was going to pass out.

"I know," She sniffled, "I know. But I don't want you to get hurt."

"We'll get hurt either way. Might as well take the bad guys down with us."

Her blonde hair squished against Ashton's shoulder as she hugged him tightly.

He was due to leave with me, along with Luke, of course.

"You're gonna make me plan this wedding all alone," She cried into his shoulder. Ashton shook his head, wrapping his arms even tighter around her waist.

Oh, the stuff I do to catch Patrick Mendoza.

This fucker better be worth it.

Michael came into my view, limping my way to give me a hug.

He was released from the hospital after about two weeks. Perhaps that was too early, but he was lucky enough to have his own safe house with a 24 hour nurse and an on call doctor.

The perks of the FBI, I suppose.

He threw an arm around my shoulder, groaning as he pulled me in further. Not letting me go without seeing him, said the silent words hanging over us all.

We might not make it back alive.

Or, I won't.

Either Patrick Medonza dies, or I do. No other way.

"Be safe Eve, you hear me?" He mumbled into my ear. I smiled to myself and carefully hugged him, cautious not to touch the wounds on his body.

I pulled away from the hug as he pecked his lips on my cheek before reaching over to shake Luke's hand, and then Ashton's.

"Stay at the safe house," Luke instructed Michael, "You will be safe there."

Michael nudged his shoulder playfully, "Like it doesn't say it in the name."

"Alright alright," I groaned, "We have to get going, please. We will miss our flight."

And with that, we left for the airport.

My heart began racing the moment the car pulls into the airport parking lot. The smell of jet fuel, automobile exhaust, and hot tarmac combine to assault the senses with images of exotic escapes and the kind of freedom that can only come from airports.

When we stepped into the building, a feeling washed over us.

We had a tense time ahead of us when we actually land in Washington DC. It would be full of fighting, blood, and probably death of many.

But here, there was calm.

There was this magnificent sight of the dark night surrounding over the horizon.

Quietly, I walked through the sliding glass doors of airport, reminiscing not over my home but over my friends.

All of the wonderful faces strolling to their respective gates, thus creating a light breeze with every passing body.

The cool stars shined through the glass windows as if to brighten the lives of those within the glass panes.

"There's so much to see down in DC," Ashton sighed warmly, his eyes glinting at the idea of being able to sightsee.

"We're not going for fun," I snapped at him. Luke wrapped an arm around me, my body melting into him.

He pressed a soft kiss to my head, "Relax darling."